Chapter 11

Amidst the silent night in the Abydos desert, a man dressed in black walked stealthily. He wore a gun holster on his waist with a revolver securely attached to it. His black long coat, reaching down to his knees, appeared elegant yet functional. His shoes were designed to effortlessly tread through any obstacles. Finally, he wore a worn black gambler's hat, likely passed down to him, adding to his overall enigmatic persona. The man exuded confidence as he walked with a cautious step, as if he were the night itself, making no sound.

He walked as if in search of something, a clue or even something more, before finally coming to a halt after a long stretch of walking. He knelt down and placed his hand on the ground, as if trying to perceive something that ordinary people would not be able to detect. He hummed thoughtfully, lost in contemplation.

"As I suspected..." he mumbled solemnly, before noticing something in the distance.

Two men appeared, clad in black suits, their faces obscured by the shadows, much like the man himself. However, he could sense that they were not friendly and silently stood up.

"Well, well, well...what do we have here?" said one of the men mockingly, as if taunting him. "Trying to foil our plans, are you? That's no good. And it's no fun at all."

The man stood silently, his piercing gaze fixed on the two men in anticipation, unmoved by their provocation. He was no ordinary man, standing his ground against both of them without a trace of fear in his eyes. He knew what they were capable of with a single glance, and he had already calculated that they posed no significant threat to him. Thus, he remained silent, observing them carefully.

"You've been obstructing our progress for almost a week now." The other man growled in a voice dripping with anger. 

"Just when we are so close to awakening it, you suddenly appear out of nowhere and disrupt our plans. Unforgivable!" He reached out for the pistol on his waist, pointing it threateningly at the man.

The other man's partner followed suit, pointing his gun at the man and aiming it with deadly precision. However, the man's resolute gaze never wavered, and he remained silent, seemingly unbothered by their threats.

"Blow him to smithereens, Ross!" the man commanded, pulling the trigger of his pistol without hesitation.

"Got it, Joe." his partner replied with a sinister smile on his dark, otherworldly face. He then aimed his assault rifle at the man and emptied the entire magazine in less than a minute, scattering sand and debris in every direction, conjuring a smoke screen in the process.

When the smoke cleared, the man was nowhere to be found, and the two shooters grinned with satisfaction, believing that they had driven away the mysterious person, perhaps even killed him in the process of running away. However, they had no way to confirm the man's fate, as it was dark, and everything around them was only faintly visible in the dim light of the moon.

"All that effort for a man who couldn't even put up a fight... It seems like we've wasted precious time chasing after someone the organization feared." Joe mocked, his tone filled with disbelief that the organization considered such a weak target a threat.

"What a waste of bullets... The man didn't even scream." Ross grumbled, throwing his empty magazine to the ground and reloading his gun.

"Enough with the complaining. Let's report back to the organization that we have successfully driven away the mysterious man... or should I say, Phantom?" The man with an ethereal face spoke with conviction, a crooked smile on his face. "We will surely be promoted for this feat, so let's move our feet and get going!" He urged Ross, who followed him without resistance, his voice full of motivation.