Chapter 7

After the scuffle yesterday, I finally stood in front of a building in Abydos, and the entrance to it was covered by sand. Beside me were Shiroko and Akagi Emi, who were both staring daggers at each other.

"Why did you even allow this person to join you to clean this building?" Shiroko moved her gaze toward me.

"Haaa?  "It was supposed to be just me and him; you're the one butting in!" Akagi Emi said, visibly annoyed.

"Look, if both of you are going to fight, then I'm better off doing this alone." 

I can clean this whole building without their help, although I shouldn't do anything that makes me stand out. Not to mention, it would take me days to weeks just to finish. However, I'll refrain from doing that.

I pushed open the door to the building, and boy, was it filled with dust. I coughed a bit and quickly put on a mask, along with gloves on my hands.

Shiroko and Akagi Emi finally broke off and followed after me. 

"This will take a while." 

"I agree," Shiroko said with a worried look.

"Indeed."  Akagi Emi already looked tired after seeing the state of the building.

The building itself wasn't damaged; however, it was so dirty that the place was infested with rodents, insects, and pests. 

But contrary to Shiroko and Akagi Emi, this sight was nothing new to me. While this place may be dirty, it pales in comparison to the wild west.

"Let's get this over with. We won't be able to restore this building in just a day, but we'll do what we can." I turned to both of them, and they nodded.

First up were the floors. I immediately got to work and cleaned the dust first. I was basically bathing in dust and debris, but I didn't mind. However, Shiroko and Akagi Emi were reluctant, but they still joined anyway.

The restoration project has finally begun.

*****

***

It was already late in the afternoon, and I had just finished cleaning a classroom. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and sat down on a classroom chair.

I made sure to spray a small amount of air freshener in the classroom since it smelled like dust. The windows in the classroom were all open, and the breeze waved through the entire room. 

It was a bit cold, but I didn't mind. I even felt sleepy since I was moving around the entire school building all day.

This building has around 25 classrooms from the first to the fourth floor, and it even has a rooftop. So far, we've cleaned two classrooms plus the entrance that led to the hallways. We were far from done, but we were making progress. 

Now that I think about it, I wonder how the others are holding up. In addition to me, Shiroko, and Akagi Emi, the Foreclosure Task Force, along with Akagi Emi's gang, were assigned to clean buildings in a large circular area. The restoration is expected to last for a few months since we are still short on staff, including Akagi Emi's gang members.