proper preparations

Start from the beginning

I huddled beside Willow as she jiggled the door handle.

"Shoot! It's locked."

"That's too bad, guess we'll have to go then." I tried to feign being upset.

She ignored me as she waved her hand in front of the door, muttering under her breath. I heard the click of the lock and watched as she gave the knob another twist for good measure. This time the door opened, and she turned to me with a truimpant smile.

"Guess it just needed a heavier hand."

"Uh-huh."

There was no way anyone would believe that.

She opened the door wider for me.

"Get inside."

I glanced at the darkened opening, not feeling confident about what might be on the other side. On the other hand, I wasn't in the mood to get caught breaking the rules, for once. The sound of more voices prompted me to leap through the opening. The moment I stepped into the room it illuminated with light from above. I glanced up to see a large, ornate floating candelabra in the center of the room.

Willow brushed past me, door closing behind her.

"We need to hurry up. The first year's spell class will be out soon and we don't want to get caught snooping around by Professor Kline."

I lowered my face to find myself staring at the swords lined up on the wall in front of me, they looked dusty and unused. They were in varying shapes, size, and widths. A few spears and a couple of axes were set together in a corner.

"Why do you have a room full of weapons?"

"Because there was a time when students were taught to use them. Lore may be peaceful now, but it wasn't always that way. Now, pick one."

She stepped to the side.

With a sigh, I moved closer to the swords, the light overhead following my movement. Most of them appeared too large and heavy to be comfortable for me to use. It was a couple years since I stopped fencing and my body wasn't ready for the effort they would require.

I reached out and ran a finger over the flat edge of a thinner blade, wiping away a layer of dust and rust. It was easy to imagine what Laurel would say if I showed up with any of these monstrosities.

I was beginning to regret that I let my temper get the best of me. Willow was a tough girl and didn't need me to defend her honor. I'm sure she was used to all that teasing before I showed up and would have to deal with it once I returned home. I reached up and rubbed my forehead, frustration settling over me as I continued to skim the wall.

My gaze focused on a familiar shaped sword near the spears and axes. It seemed the right size and weight, but it was the intriguing, glittering handle that caught my eye. I approached it to get a better look. The handle was jewel encrusted, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires. More than a little flamboyant but it was the only one I knew I could maneuver the best without looking like a complete idiot.

"These can't be real..." I touched a diamond. A strange eletric zap stung my finger and I pulled back like it burned me. The tingle still reverbrating in my hand. 

Willow stepped over to me as I took it off the wall.

"The Rapier? Perfect for a duel. Good eye, Charlotte."

I lifted a brow.

"You know about weapons?"

"Not more than I've read in books. I've never needed to use anything other than my wand."