Chapter 4

Eloise Bridgerton had always been curious about Lady Wistledown, the anonymous gossip columnist whose words had caused quite a stir in the upper echelons of society

  Eloise Bridgerton had always been curious about Lady Wistledown, the anonymous gossip columnist whose words had caused quite a stir in the upper echelons of society. Despite her family's disapproval, Eloise had made it her mission to uncover the identity of the mysterious writer. So, when she found this lead in the form of a pamphlet that could possibly lead her to Lady Wistledown, she knew she had to investigate.

With the paper in her hand and a euphoric heart, Eloise made her way through the crowded streets of Bloomsbury until she found herself standing in front of the print shop. She peered inside but found nothing, it was locked. She knocked on the door but there was no response, she was about to give up and leave when she heard a noise from the back alley adjacent to the shop. there, she spotted a young man with dark hair and sharp features working diligently at a printing press.

Eloise approached him cautiously. "Excuse me, do you work here?" she asked.

The young man looked up, surprised by her sudden appearance. "Yes, I'm the printer's assistant. Can I help you with something?"

Eloise hesitated for a moment before coming to a decision. "Tell me what you know of her"

"Of who," Theo asked

"We know that lady Wistledown prints her papers" Eloise argued

Footman John, who had been quietly standing in a corner questioned her "We do?"

"Of course, we do. Why do we think we were here?"

"I think you might be lost", Theo interjects. "And I think you might be evading my questions" Eloise replied sharply.

"You never asked me a question" Theo states as a matter of fact.

Just then Eloise finds a bunch of papers in a corner "What are those?", "Nothing for likes of you, I think you won't find your share of trivial gossip around her" Theo states.

Eloise was disappointed but not entirely surprised, Men. What else could she expect from them?

"I am not here for gossip" Eloise exclaims "No? private information about the season's most eligible bachelor then?" Theo retorts.

Eloise Chuckles "What else could I possibly expect? A woman is allowed to have only two interests, marriage or gossip, have you ever thought that maybe it's more than that, what if I want to meet her and talk about intellectual stuff, woman's rights, something which is way more comprehensive than your brain could process."

Theo stays silent and Eloise continues "What? Surprised I could be so articulate? Or are you just suffering from a medical condition I should know about"

Theo pulls out a pamphlet and hands it to Eloise "If woman's rights are what you want to talk about I think this is more appropriate, new thoughts, unsettling ideas, not too unsettling for you I hope. And if I should ever see Lady Wistledown, I will surely tell her that her biggest fan says hello"

On her ride back to her family's estate, Eloise couldn't help but wonder about the mysterious Lady Wistledown and her role in the lives of the people in London. But more than that, she couldn't stop thinking about Theo and the possibility of seeing him again.