Chapter Eight: Prompt from Prehistoric Creatures

Rev was a human chameleon- smart, versatile, and willing to play any role...but this was a stretch.

On a new island off the coast of Brazil, Rev was posing as a scientist, but in reality was undercover protection for the dig team, hired by the research facility who sent them in. When they arrived, a new species had already been excavated!

Rev's brain was stretched trying to keep up with the archaeologists' terminology. The gist of it was that this new dino was a bloody nightmare, that some of it's DNA had been extracted, and that they suspected Dr. Behman, who possibly had the capability to resurrect dinosaurs. 

"You're joking, yeah?", Rev asked the archaeologist.

She glanced up nervously. "I wish".

"Makes the T-Rex look like a puppy, yes?"

"I would agree with that".

"Any thoughts on where he's at?"

"I'm guessing Brazil. He would need to remain close to this site in case he needs more material".

"I'll find him", Rev said, striding away.

"Wait! He's dangerous!"

"So am I, love", he replied without turning.

"Now I'm in a bloody Jurassic Park movie, ain't I?", he grumbled.

Within the hour, Rev had gotten back to the mainland and was using Clint's connections to get information on Dr. Clyde Behman.

Meanwhile, Rev mingled with locals. He knew enough Portuguese to be trusted despite his pale skin. Plus, he was handy, and most anyone would give you information if you helped them.

He learned that English speakers with flashy vehicles and condescending attitudes had come through a few days ago.

Rev paid for use of a motorcycle and started in the direction of the city they had headed to. He hadn't gone but a couple miles before Clint called.

"Yeah?", Rev answered.

Clint told him they had surveillance showing a possible match in the hills outside that town.

"I'm already headin' there, ain't I?", Rev growled. It wasn't Clint's fault, but he was grounchy from the dilapidated motorcycle on the rough road jarring his dangly bits.

Clint gave him details about the layout of the compound, and Rev instantly formed a picture in his head.

"Send me some bloody backup, yeah?", Rev snapped.

"Already working on it, man. Don't suppose you'd be willing to wait and-".

"Ain't likely", Rev interrupted.

"I know you're not the planning type", Clint said. "I hope luck's on your side tonight".

The sun was sinking below the horizon by the time Rev puttered close enough to continue on foot. He hoped the motorcycle would stay where he left it as he strode through the trees like he'd been there before.

He vaulted a concrete wall topped with barbed wire without so much as snagging his pants, then ran at a crouch to the corner of the nearest building. The approaching footsteps stopped abruptly as Rev silently snapped the neck of the armed guard descending upon him. He took his dropped rifle and made his way inside.

He walked upright with confidence, hoping to pass for another guard. Following a myriad of corridors, he was suddenly on a balcony looking down into an open area surrounded floor to ceiling with thick glass, four stories worth.

He found stairs and headed to the ground floor, seeing no one. Rounding a corner, he nearly collided with another guard. Reacting instantly, Rev uppercut him then slammed the stolen rifle into his diaphragm. As he collapsed, Rev put a bullet into his head.

He opened a door near the guard's legs and found a control panel. No one was present on any screen. He saw a lab room and his gut told him he would find the DNA there. He made to leave when movement on another screen caught his eye.

What in the bloody...

It was a dinosaur! Moving from a cage into the open area.

Little bugger, but living dino all the same.

He dashed from the control room and quickly opened doors. He happened upon all kinds of shock collars and sticks.

Rev snagged the supplies then continued until he found the creature. Rev didn't know much about dinos, but it appeared to be a baby T-Rex with a more crocodilian snout. It's cocked it's head and blinked as he entered the room, pulling the door shut behind him.

"Hey there, ya ugly brute".

Rev took a couple focused steps closer, all his attention on it.

The animal's gaze suddenly shifted to over Rev's shoulder, but before he could react, a painful jolt of electricity flooded his body, rendering him incapacitated. He hit the ground.

He tried to move and couldn't. He saw the dinosaur's feet creeping closer.

"You presumed to waltz in here and steal my creation?", a voice fumed. "How dare you!"

Rev fought past the pain and locked muscles to move his right arm slightly.

The Doctor kicked him over onto his back, and Rev took that opportunity to grab his knife from his side pocket and jam it into the man's thigh.

He cried out and toppled. Rev glanced up at the baby dino, now watching the Doctor instead.

Moments later, it attacked! Rev got awkwardly to his feet and re-armed.

Approaching carefully, he got the muzzle around the beast, but not before the Doctor ceased screaming. The way his neck was gushing, Rev didn't bother checking for a pulse.

The dino calmly blinked at Rev.

"I'm'a call ya Karma, yeah?"

...........................................................................

The compound was ablaze, Karma was tranquilized in a crate, and Rev had Clint on the phone.

"There can be no evidence of this thing", Clint stressed.

"Yeah, I know mate. Seems bloody unfair, though. It didn't ask to born, did it?"

"Certainly not, but can you imagine more of it...full grown?!?!", Clint gasped.

Rev knew, but he had to admit, he had a soft spot for the little brute.

"Rev, you are not keeping a dinosaur for a pet!", Clint protested, reading his mind.

"It's name is Karma, yeah?"

"Rev, you can't-!"

He hung up.

#adventureinaction