Chapter Six: Prompt from WattpadMilitaryFiction

Rev had never been on a submarine before, but if he didn't think about being underwater, it didn't feel much different than any other ship.

Rev happened to need a ride back to the states and these Navy boys were willing to give it to him. He had been working in the U.K. for months following a trafficking trail. People were arrested, victims liberated, Rev ready to head home.

This sub was on an ISR mission (Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance) in the Atlantic, close enough to be willing to bring a fellow countryman home (with the favor asking capabilities of Clint). Clint had shared enough about Rev's mission and history for these blokes to see him as something of a hero, thus Rev was welcomed as family. He had spent several days trading stories, playing cards, drinking various alcohols, and learning the weaponry and systems of the sub.

Rounding the coast of Nova Scotia, an alarm pierced the air, followed by a flurry of commotion. Rev paused at 220 push-ups and navigated through the tangle of young men to the control room.

Rev approached the Commanding Officer, leaning over the sonar equipment with his Executive Officer and a couple Sonar Technicians.

C.O. Hudson met Rev's eyes- a crease between his.

"What's up, Skipper?", Rev questioned.

"There's a sub off the coast of Massachusetts. It's not one of ours and there's no knowledge of friendlies here".

Another officer with a headset came rushing over to their group.

"Sir, it's Russian, a Borei".

"They're too close, way too close", Hudson mused. "New York could easily be their target".

"Get me the base", he ordered, and the headset officer ran off.

"Follow that sub", he instructed the Navigator.

"Find out if there's anyone else nearby", he told a Sonar Tech.

"I've already been searching, Sir. There's no one".

"Do ya think they know we're here?", Rev asked.

"If they don't, they will soon enough. There won't be any sneaking up on them", Hudson explained.

"Bollocks", Rev grumbled.

"What if we made contact, asked their purpose?", the E.O. pondered.

"I see no reason to", Hudson replied. "They're not an ally. They've no business being this close".

"I've always found it more effective to strike first and ask questions later, yeah?", Rev pointed out. "At least when it's a known target".

"Let's make sure there isn't some reason why they're here before we blow them up", the E.O. countered, giving Rev a hard look.

"We will", Hudson replied, "but it's unlikely. If there was going to be a sub in our path, we would've been made aware".

"Sir!", the officer with the headset called out.

Hudson rushed over to him, and he passed him the headset.

Rev listened hard to Hudson's end of the conversation, as did everyone. The gist of it was that the sub didn't belong there, no one else was near enough to offer aid, and it was up to them alone to resolve this situation as safety as possible.

"If we blow them up where they're at, it could be devastating to the coastline, but especially Cape Cod Bay", Hudson pointed out.

"Can we draw em away from the shore?", Rev asked. "Make 'em chase us, yeah? Give 'em enough bloody trouble they ain't got no choice but to turn and fight?"

Hudson's dark brown eyes met his. Rev could see him considering all the options. Finally, he turned to his Executive Officer.

"This is the best option we got", he told the younger man, "We're going to get them as far from home as we can before blowing them out of the water. We launch that nuke at the last possible minute and hope we don't take a hit before it happens".

Rev watched as orders were given and announced over the sub's speakers. Like a well-oiled machine, men moved into positions, and before he knew it, Rev was watching them gain on the sub.

They launched a small missile, barely nicking the bottom rear section by the engine rooms. A cheer erupted at the precision of the hit, then they immediately backed off on the chase. Their enemy stopped moving and fired back.

The crew expertly navigated upward toward the surface and dropped a missile on the one headed for them.

They didn't get hit but the resulting explosion from the missiles colliding was enough to rock the sub. Rev lost his footing, hitting the metal ground on one knee and cursing the Rusky swine.

Rev's shipmates fired again, hitting the Russians' periscope, taking out communications. Again, it was exactly where they were aiming.

They began reversing as the Russians turned.

They began rapidly moving out to sea with the Borei in pursuit. They were forced to move closer to the surface to evade another missile, then sent another at their pursuer, nicking a stern plane.

Rev was gripping a metal railing, frustrated that he couldn't do more.

"Here it comes, boys!", Hudson shouted. "Let 'er rip!"

The Russians had launched a nuke at them. This was their last chance. They released theirs and started diving so rapidly Rev's stomach jumped into his throat.

They launched a missile at the nuke following them, then three things happened consecutively- their nuke hit the Russians, their missile hit the nuke, and the explosions rocked their sub with a blast so fierce that alarms started going off all over the place and Rev was vaulted into the air, his head hitting the railing he had been holding.

...........................................................................

An hour later, on solid ground, Rev was talking to Clint.

"The next time you offer me a ride, I'm gonna bloody pass, yeah?", Rev grumbled. His head was still pounding.

"Brother, it is not my fault that trouble finds you literally anywhere you go", Clint chuckled. "You should be happy- now you can add 'sank a submarine' to your resume".

Rev shook his head with a wry smile, though he had to admit he liked the sound of it.

#adventureinaction