Chapter Two: Prompt from Badass Reads

Rev had been tailing one of Grim's head guys, Leo, for months now, in anticipation of being led to the big guy (figuratively) himself. From what he knew, Grim was only a couple inches away from qualification as a midget.

For a year the FBI had been trying to arrest Grim. It was believed he was behind killings of police and FBI agents investigating his network. He was in charge of a trafficking network through the Midwest, running people, drugs, and weapons.

Rev had been posing as Travis, a Midwestern truck driver earning extra cash. Leo was Travis' boss's boss. Rev had enough documentation to shut the network down and put several hundred behind bars, but not Grim.

Leo was moving rapidly, scooting between other pedestrians, his head on a constant swivel.

As they headed away from the hub of the city and foot traffic became sparse, Rev dropped back further. They were heading underneath a section of the city's interstate system. Leo glanced around before darting into the gaping maw of a brick building which appeared abandoned.

It was four stories high and surrounded by lot space on either side, the unkempt grass a crunchy pale green.

Rev ducked up against the nearest house, staying low under windows and listening hard. He pulled his Glock 44 from a shoulder holster, removed his sunglasses, then texted Clint an update with his location.

Best prepare for a bloody ambush, he thought dryly.

This was possibly either the killing site or the headquarters of Grim himself. Going in was necessary but an ambush would be inconvenient. If he was tied up with Grim's lackeys, the maniac midget was likely to get away...if his drumstick legs could carry him that far.

Rev silently chuckled to himself, took off the safety on his gun, and tiger-stalked his way across the struggling grass. He heard nothing. He took one quick peek into the darkness within the doorless entry and stepped inside.

Rev's instinct told him to head right. Following along the right side of the wall, using the weak daylight available, he avoided debris and made his way around to the back of the room.

As he slipped inside the doorway of the next room, he felt his hackles raise. A lightbulb hanging in the middle of the room blazed to life and he took in figures as his eyes adjusted.

Grim.

He was there- balding to a semi-circle of dark brown fuzz around a fleshy face. He was squatty and round about the middle, very like a Humpty Dumpty caricature, in a suit that could only be described as laughable. He could have easily afforded to tailor it, but instead the silvery gray suit was bunched up across his shiny shoes and the sleeves hid everything except the tips of stubby fingers.

Grim started clapping his small meaty hands with a scowl across his face.

"Well done, Detective Walker", he began, his jowls jiggling.

How on earth had he been made?

"How'dya figure, mate?", Rev replied, dropping Travis' Midwestern accent.

"I have feelers everywhere", Grim replied.

Rev was well aware that the room was lined with men as capable as he was- seven total, possibly more outside. He took a step in to the right, watching expectantly as every man in the room adjusted slightly in accordance to his position.

"What gave me away?", Rev asked, to buy time.

"We bugged your apartment", Grim replied, his beady brown eyes twinkling.

Rev felt a surge of anger knowing he had actively searched his flat for bugs.

He felt his pocket vibrate slightly. He guessed that was a return text from Clint, but he wouldn't be planning on backup.

"Now what?", Rev asked grumpily. "You want me to turn over my weapon and surrender nice, yeah?"

"That would be ideal".

"Not bloody likely now, is it?", Rev sneered, calculating how many steps it would take for him to get to Grim.

He sensed movement behind him. Rev was reacted on instinct, turning and bringing his elbow up sharply, which made contact with a nose that crunched upon impact.

Rev bolted for Grim. He covered the distance between them in three paces, feeling the whiz of a bullet narrowly miss his shoulder, and had his forearm across his neck before Grim could do anything other than raise his eyebrows.

Moving constantly, Rev used him as a shield to work their way back toward the door. Leo was trying futilely to get control over the blood spurting from his nose.

An overzealous man made a move and Rev calmly put a bullet through his head.

"Weapons down or Humpty here ain't gonna be put back together again, is he?", Rev growled.

The men hesitated so Rev pressed the barrel of his gun against Grim's temple.

"Do it!", Grim wheezed from beneath Rev's arm.

The six remaining men reluctantly complied. Rev could hear sirens in the distance but had little hope they were coming to assist.

Bollocks! If they ain't gettin' closer?

Rev paused, listening. The sirens were approaching. He watched the men glance at each other. If he left now, they'd pick the guns back up, and then they'd have a firefight. Rev opted for holding his position.

One of the men made for his gun as another rushed Rev. He shot the man picking up a gun, the bullet going through his chest. A second later he kicked the man in the chest who was rushing him then shot him in the head as he fell.

The sirens became louder then stopped outside. He heard footsteps and identified himself out loud without turning, briefing the agents as they approached.

Within minutes, Grim and his men were in cuffs.

...........................................................................

"How'd ya know I needed backup?", Rev asked Clint.

"You always go it alone. If you were giving me a location, that meant I shoulda had someone there yesterday".

Rev started chuckling. "Thanks mate. I owe you, yeah?"

"Oh, no, my friend. I owe you".

...........................................................................

#adventureinaction