Chapter 2 ] Moonlight Talks

Samairas Point of View

*****

The hall was filled with guests. I was running from one place to another, handling the guests, serving them drinks, arranging the flowers etc. I didn't see shiva after we shamelessly stared at each other. I secretly wished he was around. It was like he disappeared somewhere all of a sudden.

Shriya sat in the front of the stage, all dolled up. I've never seen her this happy. She was surely glowing differently.  I smiled as she giggled when the artists drew mehendi design in her palms.

"Sam. There you are"

I turned back and saw my parents with my aunt.

"Hi aunty"I smiled even though she's in the topmost list of the persons I hate in my family.

"You're looking so beautiful dear. I was just asking your parents if they have been groom hunting for you"she said.

I looked at my mother and rolled my eyes.

"I don't think so"I gave a tight lipped smile.

"Oh dear. I know you always wanted to write and make a difference but you've done that now. It's time for you to settle down. May be you should try for another job too. Do you plan on writing for a living? Your parents are not giving you proper guidance so I have to knock some senses into them right?"she said in a single breath. I bit my insides of the cheek to keep my composure. I didn't wanted to make a scene at my best friend's marriage.

"I've only published one book aunty. There's a lot I want to do in my life right now. I'm not thinking about a marriage now and not in next 10 years. Will you excuse me?"I walked away before she could talk any further.

I'm mad at amma and appa for bringing that clown into my face and ruining my day. Im really a short tempered person. If my mood gets spoiled by any reason it takes time for me to get back to normal. So I decided to get some fresh air and come back when I feel okay.

I went to the balcony. It was a full moon night so it was quite bright outside. The cold air brushed against my cheeks. I held the railing and leaned myself to it. Then I closed my eyes and stood there for few minutes. Suddenly i hear footsteps approaching behind me but I didn't move. A little later there was someone else's presence behind me. I turned back and got startled as shiva walked into the balcony.

He stopped in his feets when he saw me standing alone.

"Um-sorry. I didn't knew someone was here"he said and turned to walk away.

"No. It's alright"I said. He paused and looked at me for few seconds and then came closer towards me, standing right next to me. I don't know why but my heart started pounding heavily.

He heaved a sigh looking ahead.

"You are samaira right? Abhisheks sister?"he asks.

I frown. Does he only remember me as abhis sister?

"Yes"I answer. I didn't say anything else as I wanted to know how he is gonna initiate a conversation.

"I'm Shiva. Shriyas elder brother"he says. As if I don't remember!

"Yeah I know"I just looked at him.

"Um-its been a while I have attended any function so it's quite weird to have all these people around and all you have to do is to pretend to be happy"he said.

Pretend to be happy?

I want to ask him if he's not happy about shriya getting married. But I didn't say anything. He looked at me and saw me quietly staring at him.