|53| The start of the downfall

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, god I'm such an asshole. I'm sorry." I apologize as I walk beside her towards our car.

"Sometimes you really are yeah." She is mad. Really mad. "That poor woman, she was only doing her job."

"I know, I shouldn't have shouted at her I'm just... everything is too much." I try to keep up with her but my leg is fucking killing me. "And this shit is destroying my leg, god!"

"I told you to take the crutches, that it was too early to go without them." We finally reach the car and she opens the back door so I can sit down. "Let me check."

"We are in the middle of the street," I tell her.

"This is New York I guarantee you they have better stuff to do than watching us." Her tone is as cold as ice.

I have never seen her this angry before and that's saying a lot taking how much of an ass I was to her in the beginning.

"You are mad," I state even if I know I'm probably just adding fuel to the fire.

"What makes you think that?" She asks sarcastically.

"I'm sorry. I know I acted like a child mid-tantrum." I genuinely apologize and watch for her reaction.

She doesn't reply just takes my prosthetic out and checks for any irritation around my limb. There's some but thankfully that should heal quickly. As always, she was right, I should have brought the crutches but I'm so tired of carrying them around.

"You are lucky the car was close. A few more minutes and you would probably have to stay away from wearing the leg for a few days." She searches for another sock inside her purse and hands it to me.

"You came ready," I say looking down at the sock.

"I knew this would happen." Well, she sure isn't having it. "Stay in the back, you shouldn't move more than necessary." She tells me and I nod getting fully inside and putting the seatbelt on.

Mia walks to the driver's seat and then turns to set her bag in the seat next to me. Now I sure look like a fucking kid.

"The people inside the bank, they all looked at you as if they were sorry," I say once she starts the car and drives off.

I shouldn't have said that, I'm aware but I can't take it out of my head. Do they think I'm crazy and feel sorry she has to keep up with me? Or maybe they think I'm a fucking abuser that has her coerced?

"Probably because I was as red as a tomato. It was embarrassing." She answers focusing on the road.

Her mind doesn't seem to be settled on what I'm thinking and that makes me believe I'm probably overthinking but I need to make sure. I need to know she doesn't see me that way. Even if deep down I already know she doesn't. I would never hurt nor control her.

"What if they thought I'm some kind of controlling asshole?" I hate the thought of someone believing I could be capable of something like that.

This question seems to make her understand where I'm going with this and when we reach a red traffic light she turns around to look at me.

"I don't think that's why they were sorry for, Carlos. You just shouted at a bank lady, made a number but you didn't drag me away or screamed at me when I interfered." She tells me slowly. "And I didn't feel triggered if that's what you are worried about. We all snap sometimes, it's okay."

She sounds genuine and even though I can't shake off the thought that maybe someone inside that bank thought something completely different from what she just said I simply nod and try to forget about it. What matters is what she thinks.