9. Retrospect

With her hair flying and a steaming cup of coffee in each hand, Charlotte skipped to the detective's apartment. Her mind was at ease at having finally stumbled upon an important clue, even though she was aware it wouldn't be much help in the court of law. She did think it was, however, a formidable piece of evidence- the irrefutable proof that Carter Hill played no part in the crime on at least one occasion. And yet, it was hardly enough to prove his innocence.

Was there truly no other thread to pursue? She wondered. Her feet slowed as she approached the door. Would there be any more clues among Mrs Gale's possessions? Somehow, she doubted it. But despite the technical difficulties, she couldn't help but feel optimistic. Things were finally starting to look up, and they had yet to exhaust all their resources- if necessary, they could conduct enquiries regarding the deaths of the rest of the investigators as well, although she felt the detective might be less inclined in the direction- she had noticed he preferred not to exert more effort than necessary.

Absently, she set down the two cups on the table, then made her way to the seat opposite to the preoccupied detective, who gave no indication of having taken notice of her arrival. Her eyes immediately fell on the photograph in his hand- the one that Ms Gale had claimed could prove Carter Hill's innocence.

Charlotte was startled when he suddenly tossed it in her direction. "What do you think, Ms Thompson?"

She looked down at the smiling faces on the yellowed paper. "This does prove Mr Hill had no hand in at least one transaction," she said. "At first glance, there doesn't seem to be anything out of ordinary. The figures aren't large enough to attract attention either, but the fact that they were transferred to one of the accounts involved seems promising."

"And yet," said the detective, "it proves nothing."

She sat up, confused. "What?"

"It proves nothing," Gabriel repeated, placing his cup on the table. "If Carter Hill didn't personally oversee the transaction, he could have had a lackey do it for him. Furthermore, since all it does is provide a weak alibi at best, it is also easy to imagine it could have been faked."

"But Mr Hill is innocent!" she cried.

Gabriel smiled, picking up his cup again. "Is he?"

Charlotte felt her head spin. "But I thought we knew-"

"We know nothing," he reminded her. "In fact, we hardly know what we're supposed to prove. We have been proceeding on the assumption that since he had already been tried and sentenced, it must be evidence in favour of him that we're supposed to gather."

"Oh," she said. She certainly hadn't gone about it that way, and his words made sense. "What next?"

"Next, we uncover Mr Johnson's evidence."

"Mr Johnson?" Like always, the detective never failed to surprise her. "But he's dead!"

"He is," Gabriel agreed. "But he left us an important clue."

"He did?"

Gabriel didn't answer immediately. Instead, he leaned back to study the assistant. "I believe you haven't been to the scene after the murder?" He looked at her for confirmation. She answered in the affirmative. "I suppose you aren't aware of what happened afterwards?"

"I've heard bits of it here and there," she answered. "The Sergeant posted two constables at the scene in place of Inspector Reid. I believe he went out to conduct inquiries afterwards." Gabriel silently mused at the animosity the good Inspector must have held against the Sergeant in question.