二十六: Firefly's Goodbye

Junkyu woke up when the morning light hit his eyelids. It was brighter, different from what he was used to. It took him a few seconds to adjust to the ambience of his own room, the brightness came from the open wide window, someone had lifted the curtains for him. The crystal clear sky was visible from Junkyu's bed- he stared all the way to the horizon where small buildings disappeared in a foggy mist.

Junkyu missed Jihoon. The bright sunlight reminded him of the Busan days, where the morning sun would bring along the sound of waves and delicious food prepared by Jihoon's parents. He sighed, looking down at his comfortable bed. The choice was made. He should live proudly with what he decided.

He got down his bed, slipped in the new pair of slippers and finished his morning routine. There was no one around, yet he felt like he was surrounded by a lot of people- all of whom were waiting downstairs.

Junkyu chose a bright pink hoodie. He watched himself in the mirror, it reminded him of the days spent in the small apartment of his inter universal lover. It's still a mystery- how he managed to live in a completely different space. Away from everything, everyone. Yet, he missed those days. He missed Jihoon.

Junkyu went downstairs, he met the familiar faces of the maids, who asked upon his arrival what he would like to eat. He bowed politely, they understood. So they prepared the usual. The boy then walked around the large space of his house, coming to face the square inches he was so used to stepping on. He went outside, to his favourite garden. The breeze was fresh, the flower beds were beautifully decorated with splashes of his favourite hues. He remembered when Jihoon was there with him.

"I wish I could bring you here again." Junkyu sighed, reminding himself once again of the decision he had taken. It was cruel- wasn't it? To choose between his family and lover?

He took out his phone and sent Jeongwoo a text, asking him to visit after school. It was given. Since Jeongwoo would be the only one to know his pain. Junkyu killed time on the yard, the sky was bright, but somehow it looked gloomy. Heavy with invisible clouds. Junkyu felt heavier in his heart. He wished Jihoon was there, right in front of him. He wished he could tie Jihoon to his universe, in his room. He wished there were no tunnel, no elixir of life, no barrier between them. He just wished he could have both- Jihoon and his family.

Junkyu was called inside after a while. His parents were there. It was unusual, usually they don't visit for lunch. But maybe, just maybe, their hearts connected to the string to their son's heart, just to realize what a difficult choice he had made.

Junkyu spent the entire noon with his parents, clinging too much, asking for more affection. Mrs. Kim was always good at pampering her son, so she gave what Junkyu wanted. Love. A mother's love. She made Junkyu's favourite dish, favourite dessert, it almost made the young boy cry. It should be wrong to chase after romantic love when you have all the love in the world from your family. Yet, Junkyu couldn't help thinking about him. Because every time he closed his eyes, he remembered Jihoon's universe, Jihoon's smile, Jihoon's touch.

Junkyu talked to his father too, for as long as they stayed. Then in the afternoon, they had to leave for their appointment in another city. Junkyu hugged them tight, sighed as he watched them leave. That's how his life had been. He had no shortage of riches, or even love; but time- it was his biggest enemy. He spent a long while of his life alone, relying on his exceptional quality of self accompaniment. He never realized he wanted more attention until he met Jihoon. Park Jihoon who filled his life with everything he lacked, with gentle moonlight and a breathtaking smile.

He would never forget how much he loved that man in such a short span of time.

Junkyu didn't have to wait long, because upon receiving his text, Jeongwoo came to visit right after his school ended. He called his cousin like the loud, hyperactive guy he is, making Junkyu's lips break into a huge grin. Unlike everyday, he pulled Jeongwoo for a hug. The latter didn't mind, of course. He always loved receiving affection from his brother.