Surviving.

I stepped closer and placed my hands over his shoulder before crouching between his legs and looking into his eyes. "You're not a monster." I whispered. My heart thudded. "You're anything but a monster, Wayne." My eyes watered.

He lined his lips straight, uttering nothing for a minute. His eyes wandered over my face before they fell over mine. I couldn't tell what was going on in his head but I wanted to help him. I did. "All I want to do now bleed you dry." He inched closer to my cheek and said in a low, terrifying voice.

I gasped silently. The hair over my skin rose and I shivered at his words. Did he—did he wanted to feed on me? I couldn't feel disgusted about it, even if I wanted to.

"You can't resist the urge?" I traced my hands down to his face and held it while pushing side my fears for the minute. He was my mate, the only man I had ever loved and this happened because of me.

"I can't. I tried so much, Clara." He said out of complete frustration. "I cannot control myself when I'm with you. It takes all of me to stop myself from hurting you." There were the words I never thought I would hear from the man I loved.

My face became empty and so did my thoughts. I didn't know this all was going to lead to here. I wanted to know the truth the moment I arrived here, I wanted to know his secret and now I did.

"Is that why you don't want to have sex with me?" I looked up at him.

He didn't say a word. He just nodded his head at me and my heart dropped. I felt the walls around me suffocating and crushing me altogether. I thought he wasn't attracted to me which must've been the reason he didn't want to imitate sex but I was wrong, again.

I pressed my eyes shut together and took in a few heavy breaths, restraining myself from sobbing. This wasn't about me. Wayne lived for an year without me, probably without telling anyone about the monster he had become. He went through all of it alone.

Leaning upward, I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a hug. He embraced me and as I rested my chin over his shoulder, I felt the tears at the verge of spilling out.

Silence wrapped around us thick. I was unsure of what I wanted to ask or what I wanted him to tell me.

His secret was far more than enough to crush me.

I didn't want to know anymore. How many people did he feed on? How many people did he attack? How many people he killed? How many of them knew the truth? How many were afraid of him? How many were going to come for him if they knew the truth?

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"No, Clara, don't be sorry about it. The last thing I wanted to do was blame you for this." He shook his head and rubbed my lower back. "This isn't your fault or your doing. It's no one's. I don't blame your mother either."

I slipped back from the hug and looked into his eyes, "What do you want me to do?" I asked him.

"Nothing. Just understand me. I really want you to understand me."

I smiled at him, "I will, I promise and I'm here for you, Wayne." I rolled my hands around his and held them. "Sleep with me." I offered as I stood up from the ground and waited for his response.

I couldn't sleep, especially now that I knew the truth about my own mate, Wayne. But I was going to try finding some comfort in him and help him find comfort in me.

"I can smell your blood. You have open wounds." He raised his brow and looked at me as if he wanted to bleed me dry right away. Although, he was right, I had gashes here and there and they were taking their own precious time to heal.

Was my blood his trigger as well?

"It's okay. Just forget about blood for a minute and lay down with me. If you still have the urge, then I'll let you go." I stated while grabbing the thick, warm sheets from the edge of the bed.

He removed his shoes and straightened down on the bed. I joined him seconds later and wrapped my arms around him. His eyes were wide open, cautious as he rubbed circles in my back. I stayed awake, thinking of it all. No more questions were asked, I didn't want to trouble him more than I already had.

I laid straight as he placed his head over my chest, his every breath heavy and full of hunger. Minutes passed, I continued to stare at the ceiling, wondering what wrong he had ever done to get something like this. I felt mixed emotions—anger and sorrow.

When I began hearing the snores, I smiled at myself and closed my eyes.

In minutes, he was asleep and so was I.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr