Chapter 8

Rage flashed in his eyes before he began unbuttoning the buttons of his shirt one by one. I stood near to him, startled. What was he doing? Why was he removing his clothes? Once the shirt came off, I turned my eyes to the corner, fixating them over a tree and hoped for the rushing feelings collecting my stomach to disappear. It couldn't happen now. My wolf was jumping in joy within me, preparing herself for a midnight sex while my mind was jumbled up.

Wayne's hand reached lower to his pants where he unzipped them and removed it. He left nothing on his body, not even his underwear. I swallowed the lump in my throat while continuing to keep my eyes up and away from his naked, bare body standing in front of me.

"Wh—what are you doing?" I asked, confused.

The shadows of the night danced over his bare flesh, uncovering, and flaunting all the muscles he had built up over the years.

He picked up the clothes from the ground, folded them and stretched his arm toward me. I hesitated for a second before grabbing the clothes from him.

"Stay here. Don't move. I'll be back in no time." He said, barely making any sense to me.

I stepped further back as he began to shift. It happened only in a span of a few seconds. Before I could ask or question any further, he shifted into his wild wolf. Hair spread all over his skin, canines tore out of his mouth and his bones twisted and turned before he fell on the ground on his all fours. The earth met with his wild paws.

My mouth remained wide open, staring at the black wolf in front of me in horror. My heartbeat fast. Fear covered me from the top to the bottom.

What was happening?

I pressed my fingers into the clothes he had given me a minute and held them close to my chest.

A howl, surreal and eerie, filled the air before Wayne's wolf ran into the forest without a warning. In seconds, his wolf was gone, disappeared into the night and nowhere to be seen.

His scent remained around me for several seconds. It was the strongest as it could me. I didn't move from my spot and stood where he had wanted me to stand. Not that I could move my numb limbs anyway.

Where did he go?

I turned my head around, taking a quick glance. It was safe to be alone here, but I couldn't stop wondering about Wayne and where he had gone—out of the complete blue.

Did I say something wrong? Had I provoked him?

A few minutes passed by, the fear passed over my body and I snapped back to reality. My heart stopped drumming and continued beating at a normal speed. I kept my eyes wide open, hoping he would return soon, and we would be over with this.

It was unsafe to go into the forest completely alone as there were a lot of strong wolves running and taking rounds of the place.

I was going into the forest only because I knew the path that would lead me to Thomas. Wayne had no idea where he was heading.

Or did he?

A few more minutes passed by. My legs ached while my head clogged with tension. I walked in circles, still in the same area while holding Wayne's clothes to my chest.

When I began getting tired, I crouched over a stone and sat down over it. My feet patted the ground of the forest. I waited and waited. Seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into an hour.

It was getting too long.

What if he ran and left me alone? Would he do that?

My lids began dropping in no time. I brought the shirt in my hands closer to my nose and took a whiff of his strong scent that resided in his clothes. Suddenly, mixed emotions passed through me.

I had missed him.

It was getting harder to deny the feeling because for the longest, I wanted to separate myself from the past and it meant separating myself from Wayne. But how could I? He had marked me, we had mated and we were about to have a child together.

Whatever it was, I was deep in it, and I couldn't run away from it so quickly. I couldn't keep denying my feelings for him just so I could heal.

I placed his clothes underneath my head and before I knew, my eyes were shut closed, and I was asleep.

The rest only lasted for a couple of minutes before another strong smell reached up to my nostrils and I pushed myself awake. Upon opening my eyes, I only saw darkness surrounding me until I lowered my eyes to the dead body resting just beside the stone I was sleeping on.

A loud scream cracked out of my throat. It was painful. I jumped back, throwing my arms forward while several more screams ripped out of me.

A rough hand was smacked over my face, it's palm pressing against my lips and silencing my deafening screams.

"It's okay. Don't scream." Wayne whispered in my ears before pulling me toward his chest and holding me tight on the ground.

Sharp stones and thorns cut through my fingers and my hands as I continued crawling away from the dead body. I hadn't had a minute to find out who it was resting beside the stone.

My heart stopped racing rapidly and I stopped screaming as well after hearing Wayne's voice in my ears.

The stench of fresh blood filled the air around me. I crawled a bit forward, farther from Wayne and near the body that I had woken up to.

Thomas.

He was dead, bitten, chewed out and his throat was slashed. The man was bleeding everywhere. Mud and dirt filled every inch of his skin.

"Y—you killed him..." I turned around to Wayne, hesitation in my movements and my voice. My hand quivered as I raised it up. "Why?" I choked out.

His hand moved underneath my hair, rolling a few strands around his fingers. I neared back to him, still sitting over the ground and the dirt. "His intentions were wrong, and you were right. He wanted to hurt you and I couldn't think about anyone hurting you. You wanted him dead, kitten so I did it for you." He explained as his breath fanned over me.

I sucked in a sharp breath, still adjusting. My lips trembled. I looked at Wayne in shock. "But why you?"

He rubbed his palm over my cheek and replied, "I can't risk anyone chasing you for killing an Alpha, but they won't question much if another Alpha killed him. We'll steer clear from it. Flee the city as quickly as it's possible and no one will turn their head on us."

I wrapped my arm around his bare torso and pushed myself over his lap before embracing him. My head buried underneath the nape of his neck where his scent was the strongest. He was bare, still unclothed. I assumed he had his wolf attack Thomas and drag his body to me.

"Thank you." I whispered in his ears.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr