"An heir to the throne."

"Unfortunately, myself and my husband are unable to produce an heir. I've heard of Vespertine's fertile lands, and the farms that cover your country side. I implore you, that we set up a trade system that will be beneficial for my citizens for when me and Tanix eventually pass. A fail safe, if you will." Calandra continued, gently petting the golden dragon's head. It purred quietly, nudging its head into her neck.

"So, we offer you grains and metals. What do we get in return? Apart from your support of my usurpation." Delvin pondered, he wasn't a charity. The Kingdom of Vespertine would not be taken advantage of, if he could help. That would only lead to disquarrel between citizens and, eventually invasions from other nations. Kingdom Vespertine would not, and never, be seen as weak.

"You will have access to some of my finest Dragon Knights, alongside their dragons and anything else at your disposal for when you eventually take over. I highly doubt the King and Queen will give up their throne without a fight, don't you?" Delvin couldn't deny it, their support alongside the dragons would be essential in his fight for the throne.

Their dragons and Dragons Knights were world renowned, infamous and terrifying all in one. To have them as his trump card would be crucial. So, he nodded. "Fair is fair. I accept." The Prince agreed.

Calandra grinned, as though she already expected his answer. "Good. Now shall we discuss what your Queen sent you here originally."

---

The delegations had finished fairly quickly after that. Queen of Vespertine had sent him to deal with conflicts over the boarding lands. A stupid small amount of farmland, that was currently owned by Havenvale Kingdom. But since it was boarding Vesperine's own farmland, his mother thought it was only natural that it also belonged to them. Stupid, and petty. That was her all over.

Now that he and the rulers of Havenvale had a common interest, Calandra had subsided the land to the Kingdom of Vespertine, under the guise that they would get it back and then some when Delvin came to power. It would be enough to quell the Vespertine Queen anyways.

Delvin chugged the last of his tea, before standing up and moving away from the table, when a thought came into his mind. He grinned sinisterly, as he turned around to look at the Queen. She seemed to gather something was up, and raised her eyebrow in question.

"I have one request," Delvin said simply, not bothering to sit back down. This would only take a minute or so anyways. The Queen gestured for him to continue, bemusedly putting her dragon down on the seat besides her.

"A Dragon Knight of yours, has bright red hair. Green dragon. What's his name?". Delvin asked. Calandra gave him an odd look.

"Vaeros, Vaerso Rossi." The Queen replied. "Why did you want to know? I assigned him to your personal maid, didn't I?" The Prince nodded, humming his answer in reply. As he left the meeting room, he paused at the double doors.

"I was just curious." He offered. "I might need to visit him, I'd love to know more about these dragons of yours." And with that he left, his half-shoulder cloak, fluttering behind him.

---

Vaeros, by no fault of his own, couldn't speak. His voice had been taken away from him at a young age, and it was something he longed to forget. Gently, his hand hovered over the large scar on his neck, always hidden by his armour or a high neck top.

It was his weakest point, and because it was a sore spot, the other Dragon Knight leapt onto it like wolves going in for the kill. They tormented him relentlessly. So when, the woman he'd been assigned too, stood up for him. It was a welcome change.

Initially, he'd thought the Queen had assigned him to escort her as a way to punish him for something. It was a boring, meaningless task. But now, he thought maybe she'd known. Maybe the Queen had known he needed someone like Lavinia to stand up for him. A part of him was ashamed that he'd needed the help. But the other half welcomed the affection.

He sat in his quarters, wondering if he'd see her again. Tomorrow, they would hold a feast and gathering in celebration of the Vespertines and Havenvale's new alliance before the Crown Prince and his entourage would leave. Servants, Knights and maids were often not invited to these things. But still, while the Prince and the rulers of Havevale were busy, he could meet her again, to properly thank her this time, instead of some measly written note.

Vaeros buckled off the last of his armour to head to bed, when a tapping noise at his window disrupted him. With caution he opened it up, to find a small mockingjay with a note trapped in it's beak. There was something unearthly about this bird, however. Its eyes seemed black, empty as though there was nothing there but an empty shell. A vessel, so to speak.

It dropped the note in its beak, and promptly flew off. Probaby to its master. Vaeros tilted his head in curiosity as he opened the letter. It was highly unusual for him to receive mail, and even stranger for it to be delivered by bird carrier.

'I know everything.'

It was a simple message, but Vaeros knew the weight of those small words were heavy the stone. Before he had chance to blink, the letter disappeared into thin air. Little pieces of paper disintegrating before his very eyes. Vaeros swallowed down the instinctual fear, feeling as though someone was watching him. Like they could see his every move.

He might have come to the Havenvale Kingdom for less than honest reasons. But he was loyal to them now. Loyal to his King and Queen, so much so they had gifted him the highest position of Dragon Knight, alongside his very own emerald dragon. Whoever had written this was sorely mistaken.

Vaeros may have initially been a spy. But he was no longer one. He knew who'd written this letter. There was only one man in this Kingdom right now that could use magic. The Crown Prince, Delvin Vespertine. Vaeros also knew exactly what the man was talking about, the fact that he had been a spy, and the fact that his parents had....

 No, he couldn't think about that now. 

No one knew. Not even in the Kingdom of Chamirisy knew what sins his parents had committed. Vaeros bit his lip, reaching for his sword. He keep it close to him tonight, just in case.

-----

Authors Note: 

Hey guys! Hope you're doing well. Did you enjoy this chapter? What do you think of our new character, Vaeros now we know a little bit more about him? I hope you liked it! Thank you so much for reading, i always appreciate hearing from you <3 

Lots of love, 

Sam.E