09 | Carry the Weight

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, you did," Hunter said, trying to make light of the situation.

Rylann was visibly shaking. "I saw," Ry paused, biting her lip as her face contorted. "I saw pain. His pain. His memories."

Hunter looked between her and Crosshair. "You mean you saw in his mind?"

Ry's lip trembled. "Yes." She licked her lips. "They were going to hurt him."

"Who?" Hunter asked, watching as Tech and Wrecker were trying to wake up their fallen brother. He was starting to feel worry flicker within him.

"The Kaminoans," Rylann muttered, staring at Crosshair's crumpled figure. "They said he was too defective and needed to fix him."

Hunter furrowed his brows at her statement. "The Conformation Exercises?" He vaguely recalled Crosshair having to go to the meetings a few times over the course of their cadet training, but his brother never talked about it to him.

"It was a torture droid, Hunter." Ry's voice was barely above a whisper but it sounded like an explosive in his ear.

Hunter's heart dropped to his stomach. Crosshair had never told him this. They used torture devices to make him more compliant? Anger billowed through Hunter's veins like a fire. How dare they touch his vod like that. His brother.

Before he could say anything, Crosshair groaned behind him, bringing his attention to the present. Hunter stood up, helping Rylann to her feet as she wiped tears from her eyes. He glanced at the padawan at his side, eyeing her to make sure she was alright. "Does he know you know?"

"No clue," was her blunt reply as she watched Tech and Wrecker help the fallen brother up. Hunter could feel her heart racing and knew this was affecting her a lot more than she let on. For a jedi, she had a lot of emotions, or rather, she actually wore them on her sleeve. Hunter liked that though. He didn't feel like she was self-righteous compared to the other jedi he had met. Not that he met more than a couple.

Hunter diverted his attention to Crosshair, who's hand rested on his greying head of hair. The tall brother looked at Rylann and Hunter could feel Crosshair's heart quicken. With a shriek of sound and light, the floating blaster bolt finally unfroze, smacking some old panel behind Hunter and Ry.

"What happened?"

"We need to get you to the medbay," Tech said, tilting Crosshair's head to the side. "There is a chance you got a concussion."

Crosshair and Rylann spoke simultaneously.

"I'm fine."

"I'll take him."

"You are not doing well, either," Tech stated, gesturing to the red spots she had gotten from the training bolts.

"Good thing we are going to the medbay," Rylann said, shooting Hunter a look for help. She must want to talk to him about what she saw, he thought. Even though he wanted to ask Crosshair himself, he needed to give Cross time. Cross was not an open person and Hunter was all about not crossing boundaries.

"Alright, let us know when you are finished," Hunter said with a nod, gesturing to the door. "Don't have too much fun."

【 ⌖ 】

Rylann