Lesson #7: Never take a journey solely for the purpose of making content.

Start from the beginning

Photo credit: whatshotblog.com [36]

The impact of selfie-seeking and social media has truly changed the era of travel. In 2019, Thailand's Maya Bay closed down because of overtourism. It finally opened back up in the year 2022, but it is one of many destinations that were impacted by an increase in the number of tourists. This isn't necessarily to say that people are traveling in far greater numbers than in the past, but rather, when they do travel, it is often to places that they've already seen from photos and videos online. Another example is "Boracay in the Philippines, and Hanoi's famous 'train street.' Destinations like Tulum in Mexico have also fallen victim to their popularity; the uber-hip spot has recently struggled with overtourism and pollution." [35]

How often do we go on vacation and saddle ourselves with a major to-do list? Do we spend weeks researching the "Must-See travel sites" and ask friends, family, and co-workers about their recommendations so we feel compelled to take their advice and report back to them? When we go on vacation, is our goal to relax or spend a few days on a trip that resembles a fast-paced high-priority scavenger hunt? Sometimes we should schedule time to sit back, relax and enjoy a different pace where we aren't constantly focused on what's next. When you think about the importance of rest and recovery concerning mental health, it's no wonder that people often say they "Need a vacation from their vacation." When you travel, you should undoubtedly see important sights, but you should also focus on enjoying the journey and learning something new about the people you're traveling with. When you go through life, work to find your own path, don't spend the journey walking in someone else's footsteps.

Chase your flock, don't chase the clock.
Shortly after college, I moved to a new city. One weekend, I joined a few friends on a road trip to a beach destination a few hours away. Upon arrival, we stopped at a random restaurant/bar on the beach, where I saw hundreds of people in their 40s and 50s partying like they were in college. A live band was playing the song Love is a Battlefield, by Pat Benatar, and I'll never forget the energy of this group of people who seemed like they didn't have a care in the world.

That moment was transformative for me because I remember the number of conversations in my early 20s centered on how we'd "never" get a chance to party like "this" again. Now, I'm not saying that you should cancel all of your plans and instantly turn yourself into a homebody; however, it reminded me of the times that my friends and I would drag ourselves out, almost as if we were less concerned with the fun that we'd potentially have and more about this unsaid perception of "running out of time" to be young.

"If I could teach people to be grateful, we could have an amazing world where negativity could not grow and foster, and children would have a smile on their face."
- Catriona Gray

The people around you may come from many different walks of life, but you have to strengthen your bonds and relationships intentionally. Maybe your friends are into finding pop-up art installations or volunteering in their community. Maybe they dislike watching baseball on TV but love going to the ballpark. Lots of people don't explicitly share their true interests with their friend group because they know that when "the group" gets together, it's primarily to party. If you take away the concept that you only have a "specific amount of time" left to do something, you will likely have a new sense of clarity in your decision-making. This may mean that you and your friends may look for new events and activities that you wouldn't otherwise consider.

The false belief that some things will never happen in the future can have a real impact on the choices we make when we're young. Yes, when you grow up, it often means that you will have a variety of commitments, but it doesn't mean that you've "wasted time" if you decide that you're in the mood for a quiet evening with close friends. Maybe you find yourself in a routine where you may "force" yourself to go out and party due to FOMO, or the fear of seeing your friends having the illusion of the "time of their life" on Social Media while you are at home, keeping things pretty low key. FOMO often comes into play when we consider the travel destinations we select. How often does the group get together to go to a travel "hot spot" leaving on a Friday and coming home on a Sunday, so they are fighting the crowds and paying for the most expensive flights and hotel nights?

Travel Secret.
This option may not be for everyone, but one of the best weeks of the year to go on vacation is the week after Labor Day when school is back in session. Granted, this is also a hectic time at most jobs, but it's generally a week of incredible hotel availability, cheap flights, and calm, quiet destinations, as many have gone on a vacation over the summer, and families want to ensure their kids don't miss the first week of school. This is a great time to find a travel adventure to a popular destination or somewhere off the beaten path. When it comes to travel, it's easy to do what everyone else is doing, but if you can break from the norm, you may experience a new culture and find something that ends up being unforgettable. We must stop making decisions with the expectation that we'll "never" get a chance to have a similar experience in the future. Make sure to value those around you who are interested in participating in activities that align with your passion instead of only being available for the things that THEY want to do. It's critical that we find our own pathways in this world and surround ourselves with people who will at least try something new.

My Creative Journey
In the midst of the Covid-19 lockdowns, I started a Podcast called The Covid House. In the process of this podcast journey, I realized that even if things don't work out the way you expect, it's always worth it if you're doing something that makes you happy. As we were developing the podcast, I had a good friend who agreed to play the role of one of the characters. One day while we were recording, his son Ben overheard us on our phones improvising and going over lines on a podcasting app. Ben, who was 12 then, asked if he could play a character. At first, I was worried because I didn't think a 12-year-old could provide the necessary talent to provide anything significant to our storytelling podcast. But then, I remembered that during a time of lockdowns and uncertainty, it could serve as a fun escape from the norm.

Throughout this "unexpected adventure," Ben demonstrated incredible talent. He wrote and improvised Episode 6 of the first season, which featured audio clips that ended up being listened to over 100,000 times. Ben's effort reminded me that no matter what happens in the future, there will always be a place for good storytelling, as long as we always allow others the opportunity to showcase their talents. Time after time, individual members of Gen-Z have impressed me beyond belief.

In my first and second year I taught social studies, and tried to create original historical poems to inspire students to learn more. I put a lot of effort into showcasing my talents, but I soon discovered that my most effective teaching was allowing my students to lead. I saw the students write poignant poems, skits and presentations that taught the class far more than I could by myself. Seeing their creativity reminded me that achieving your goals alone is almost impossible. The things we create are often more memorable when we include others in the process.

"You won't break mysoul"                   "The rest is still unwritten"
- Beyonce Knowles                                    Natasha Bedingfield

Works cited:
[35] "How perfect Instagram photos have ruined travel." Insider, 22 Dec. 2020, .
[36] "Pura Lempuyang: The Gates of Heaven in Bali." What's Hot Blog, 25 Oct. 2019, .