Lesson #2 - Remember the Tortoise and the Hare

Don't let your desire to be a hare impact your ability to become a world class tortoise.

In January of 2023, a 24-year-old finance YouTuber and self-made millionaire, Sebastian Ghiorghiu told his followers, "If you're a guy in your twenties, and you don't have a Lamborghini, you should actually sit down and have a serious discussion with yourself as to why you don't have a Lambo." His statement went viral for being labeled as "out of touch," but this remark is what many young men pay attention to and often question why it wasn't happening for me?

As an older millennial who paid close attention to the birth of reality TV and social media, I once believed that I needed to be "in a rush" to be successful. I felt that if I didn't achieve my success before age 25, then it would never happen in a way that I could enjoy. I remember speaking with college friends about traveling, going on road trips, or partying before the "responsibilities of life" would eventually come into play. But I soon realized that it was all based on the faulty premise that makes you believe that being in a hurry is almost as important as the task itself. I discovered that I was obsessed with Young Dreams because I assumed these were the only types of dreams to be had.

"more haste, less speed" - proverb

This statement has a variety of iterations, some of which are credited back to 16th-century Europe. The idea is that being in a hurry often leads to having less long-term success as one may take shortcuts or not complete something by partaking in the required amount of work, only to see it fail because it wasn't fully ready. The concept isn't suggesting that you slow down in pursuit of your goals, but that you should focus more on how you complete the task. With ChatGPT, Midjourney and the expansion of AI, we see more tools than ever to help someone rush through and complete professional work, homework, or creative tasks. However, if you don't learn the fundamentals behind that work, you will never become a master.

Make Goals that are measurable and specific!

I will go to the gym three times per week.

I will read for 30 minutes every night.

Do not set timelines that are based on age

I'll be working for this tech company by the age of 25.

I'll get noticed and make it on a 30 under 30 list or be selected as a Rising Star in my field.

Do not set goals that require external validation

I'll have X number of followers in the next three months.

If I do the following, then this person will want to be in a relationship with me.

There has never been a time in history when more young people are being discovered and recognized for doing notable things. There are teenagers making videos with other influencers in TikTok houses, groups of young reality stars being featured on streaming or social media platforms, middle school and high school students making money building maps on Roblox, and elementary students becoming stars on shows like Dance Moms, or pitching their business on Shark Tank. It appears as if success is readily available very early, and it might make a young person wonder if they may not be achieving this "world-class success" quickly. However, it's essential to recognize that historically, many dreams take a lifetime to cultivate and obtain.

Lifelong Dreams:

The "American Dream" of home ownership

Professional Dreams (starting a business/becoming financially independent)