Lesson #5 - Never forget what would have made you happy in the beginning.

Lesson #5- Always strive for "more," but never forget what would have made you happy when you first started.

One of my earliest kindergarten memories involved classmates discussing their future jobs. We talked about being firefighters, doctors, teachers, and other jobs that made a difference in society. I always wanted to be a teacher, but as I got older, I thought it seemed a bit too "normal" for me. While I continued volunteering and serving in mentoring programs, I did not pursue teaching full-time until several years after college. Once I made the change, I soon realized that working in education presents its own challenges (like any job), but it's incredibly worthwhile and is the best career I've ever had.

Today, I hope to share the understanding that the anxiety that so many of us feel is not necessarily "in our heads." But we must take specific action and make choices so we can live in a society where the mental health crisis in teens and other young people does not continue to increase year after year. I believe that even one person can realize that this feeling of anxiety is not just in their heads and that WE have the capability and responsibility to shape a happier, healthier, and safer society with hard work. Because there is nothing that hurts me more than knowing that there are young people out there who feel as if they have no other option than to give up. Every time someone gives up, I know society faces a tremendous loss. Today, there is so much that I want to accomplish personally, but I hope and pray that there is at least one person out there who makes the decision to press forward in the face of their anxiety. And if that person moves forward and inspires others, it can create a ripple effect where we all do more to shape a future of opportunity, optimism and hope.

"Do More" - Bowen Yang

All of us must do more, but it is challenging to determine what that "more" is. These life lessons are not perfect, but examining them has put me on a pathway to understanding the root cause of my own anxiety. Like many others, I am tired of losing great people to self-harm, depression, and hopelessness. But how do we stop those people from feeling like that is their only option BEFORE it gets to that point?

When self-harm happens, we must focus on the individual and try to get to the root cause of the challenges that they are facing. However, we often forget that a community of students, families, and friends also question if they could have done more for someone they cared about. That questioning and doubt can take a toll on a community because it often leads to anxiety and depression, effectively becoming "contagious." Essentially, when our friends are sad, in many cases, we are also unhappy, particularly when we re-hash previous conversations or interactions in our minds. We often wonder if we could have done something differently to prevent that sense of helplessness in someone we cared about.

Many people face anxiety alone, often making them believe no one else understands how overwhelmed they feel. It's important not to take on that burden and to remember that your ability to be a good friend, classmate, or family member is enough. Sometimes people have difficulty escaping a downward spiral on their own, but if we do a better job of addressing this crisis collectively, we'll have an increased chance of finding someone who feels as if they are at their lowest point. For those out there who are going through something and feel isolated, please remember that others care deeply about what you are facing; You are NOT alone.

You can't talk about healthcare and dismiss the mental part of it.
It's a part of your body. - Taraji P. Henson

We often address our physical health by seeking community. A person may work with a personal trainer, join a cycling club, or train for a 5K race with friends to support a cause. However, we often address mental health issues in silence. We should normalize conversations about mental health and wellness so others feel comfortable recognizing the moments when they feel overwhelmed and seek out healthcare professionals and people they trust.