Chapter 27 | The Not so Hidden Truth

Fulton walked the twenty minutes it took to get from the freshman dorms to the Eden Hall library. He had heard from Julie that she was there for tutoring in English. He searched for Anastasia on the first floor but could not find her anywhere. He decided to go to the next floor looking through the windows and walking up and down aisles until he heard the sound of her voice talking to someone. As he got closer he saw Anastasia facing right talking to someone. The only part Fulton could see of the person next to her was a red arm as the aisle of books blocked the rest of him.

.. so yeah then Portman broke up with me.

Who is she talking to? Fulton knew Anastasia well enough to know she would never open up to a stranger. She may have been carefree; but for her to trust someone and open up about Dean and her relationship let's just say that wasn't something she would do unless of course you were Julie, Fulton, or the newsies. As he got closer he saw a new Varsity jacket. We hate Varsity why would she confide in them..As he got closer he saw Banks and Anastasia in a deep conversation. .. You can't be serious. He knew his best friends had broken up; but he didn't know that Anastasia would move on so quickly. In that moment Banks pulled her into a hug understanding what it must have felt like to not only lose your childhood friends, as he had lost most of his friends that were Ducks, but also lose someone that he had feelings for.

In an instant, he let go of her as his eyes locked on a pissed off Fulton. Anastasia let go of Banks as she turned her head. She looked at Fulton. You have got to be kidding me.

Fulton Anastasia says looking at him with sad eyes. What are you doing here?

Banks and Fulton locked eyes. The tension in the room could not even be cut with a sword as it engulfed everything around them.

Anastasia stood up from her chair glancing at Banks, I'll be right back.

She walks up to Fulton as he looks at her we need to talk. She didn't want the wrong information going back to Dean though she wasn't sure if Dean even cared about her anymore.

I'm not sure your boyfriend would like that. Fulton snickers looking from Ana to Banks.

Oh lay off of it; we both know he's dating Sarah. Don't be a jerk. Anastasia says folding her arms.

She walks further away from Banks as Fulton follows and she stops at the staircase. She turns back around, so why are you here? We both know you don't usually come to the library.

I was looking for you.

Why?

Julie talked to Portman and I and he looks away I'm sorry for how I acted at the hockey meeting.

Mhmm she folds her arms not believing him.

He looks at her you hurt Dean and what Connie said wasnt a lie.

Right Anastasia snickers. Was this supposed to be an apology. I feel awful that I hurt him. I really do care about him. How's he doing?

He's doing okay, he wasn't going to admit that his best friend was a mess right now. Fulton had seen the picture of Portman and Ana in the garbage; but he did not want to mention it in front of Julie.

He's doing okay after our breakup. I guess that's good. As her mending heart aches she could only find one word to say, okay.

So I'm sorry.

Yeah.

I'm going to go now I've got a ton of homework I need to finish.

Yeah of course um.. I'll talk to you later.

As they went separate ways a tear escapes Anastasia's eye as she quickly wipes it away.

...

When Fulton returned back to his dorm Dean was sound asleep with the music blaring in the background. Looking at his best friend he could see the sadness on his face as guilt overcame him. How was he supposed to tell his best friend that the girl he had started falling for was spending her time with Banks. And since when did she need help in English. Was it even his place to tell him about what he had saw in the library? He didn't want to upset Portman anymore but he did not want to lie to his best friend either.

Fulton decided to turn off the music and to lay in bed to think. He pulled the blankets over him as he thought about how to easily break the news to Portman. While he was in deep thought his best friend had woken up.

Hey man. Dean said looking at Fulton as he stretched.

Dean looked at Fulton as no response was given.

Fult? Portman questioned as his best friend was in deep thought.

In that moment a pillow landed on Fulton's face as he heard a laugh. Fulton escapes his deep thoughts feeling a pillow on top of him. He tosses it back on Portman's bed as he sits up.

What are you thinking about? Portman says smiling as his best friend becomes more alert.

I went to go see Anastasia. He looks at Portman as his face falls.

And? Portman asks.

I needed to apologize to her. She was in the library being tutored for English.

English? Since when does she need help with that.

Fulton wasn't sure if he should tell him but Portman wasn't dumb. He could feel the tension rise in the room.

Who was she with? Portman said hoping that his gut feeling was wrong. Dude what are you not telling me. We both know she's never needed tutoring for English.

Fulton hesitates as he looks at his best friend, she was with Banks.

You're kidding right?

Fulton saw the hurt expression sketched on to Portman's face. After seeing this expression there was no way Fulton was going to tell him that they seemed close and were hugging when he saw them.

How did she look?

Upset. Julie was right when she said Anastasia cares about you. She was asking how you're doing. And when I said you're okay she looked like she was about to cry.

Oh Portman replies not sure what to say. He was conflicted about rather or not he should care after what she had put him through.

Portman lays back down putting his music back on and falls into deep thoughts about her.