Chapter 9 Part 1: First Day of School

I looked at the student and jumped up and hugged him. "JAYDEN!" I was so happy to meet my best friend. He was really here and he was real. I squeezed him as he laughed and hugged me back. Miss. Williams looked at us with a smile as she said "Jayden here knew you were coming here and came in last week offering to show you around. You guys may go around and look now. Here's her schedule Jayden". As she handed my schedule to him. He looked at my schedule and his eyes widened. "Wow, we have a lot of classes together except for math." I smiled as he looked at me with a cute smile. Wait, did I just call my best friend cute?! I'm so confused. There's no way I had feelings for him. I still was in love with Owen! Ugh! This was so confusing. I looked at Jayden as he showed me around the school. We ended up going to our first class, English, together. The teacher let me sit next to Jayden and she was really nice. All English teachers typically were though. I wasn't surprised about that. I looked at Jayden's paper as he was stuck between different literary devices. "You did it wrong." I said and grabbed my pencil and started writing on his paper. "Here, a simile isn't an exaggeration. It's being able to compare two things using like or as. You should have learned this in elementary school, Jayden." I said writing down notes for him to remember certain things. I ended up having to teach him multiple things in that class. It almost felt as if I was teaching a kindergarten class. The bell rang and we packed our things as Jayden took me to our next class, science. My favorite subject! We sat down at the same table as the teacher put tests on our desks. "You may be new, but you have to take the test. I expect you to get a 70 or higher considering they had you in honors science in your old school." he said in a very deep voice while he wrinkled his nose and pushed his glasses back on his face. Oh god. He scared me so much already! We started taking our test. This seemed more like DNA and Punnett Squares. This was easy. Question one: What is the genetic code for ACTGGATCTAG

I just smiled and wrote down "TGACCTAGATC" that was easy. The next question was also really easy.Question two: How would two parents who have the father brown hair and the mother blonde hair have a ginger child?

I thought for about 15 seconds and finally wrote down, "The DNA would have a mutation in the genetic code causing the child not to have brown hair. The chances of the child having blonde hair would be lower unless the father would be a carrier of blonde hair. You cannot possibly be a carrier of a dominant trait, but you can be a carrier of a non-dominant. Let's say the father was Bb and the mother was bb. The chances of having a kid BB is a 0%, Bb is a 50% and bb is also a 50%. There is no gene for ginger hair, but it could happen because of a genetic mutation. That is very low though."

I finished the rest of the test in less than 10 minutes, but then I realized that I was the only one taking the test. I gave it to the teacher as he looked at my responses and his eyes widened. "Lorelia, may you come out into the hall please." Kids started the ooooo-ing sound and I was honestly nervous. I was getting called into the hall already on my first day? This could not be good at all. I got outside in the hall and the teacher followed and closed the door of the classroom. I was scared and my anxiety was high. Were my answers wrong? Oh god I really didn't want to get into trouble. I looked at the teacher as he looked at me with a scary look. "Did I do something wrong?" I said in a shaky voice and fidgeting with my pocket. "I don't think you should be in this class. You're too advanced in the subject and we gave you a high school level test. You managed to get 100%, but we will probably be moving you up to 9th grade science and in honors. I hope you do well in that class, but you will have to stay in this class until probably tomorrow." he said with a strong, but hopeful voice. I was shocked and calmly headed back to the class. I guess that was a compliment. I sat back down to Jayden and I had people swarming around me asking about what happened. "Lorelia here is a lot smarter than the average 7th grader. She will no longer be in our class anymore as this is our first and last day with her in the class." He said with a smile and sat back down. Jayden looked at me in complete shock. "Dude, you must be hella smart. I'm impressed to say the least. If you're getting moved to another class for your smarts, that's a huge deal here." He said just looking at me. I couldn't understand his complete emotions except that he was proud of me and was a little disappointed. We got through the class and then Jayden looked at me. "You got math next with Miss. Yawn." He took my hand and looked me in the eyes. "If you need me I'm only a text away stupid." he smiled a bit and it was kind of cute. I looked down immediately and told him to shut up. He ended up wrapping his arm around me while he took me to my math class. I felt my face slowly fluster as he stopped. "This is your class. I'm right across the hall, so I'll be here for our next class as well." I walked in the class and sat down where the teacher told me to. A kid sat next to me and they looked really familiar. Wait. Oh, my gosh. It was Owen. I looked at him in horror and looked down at the desk. I grabbed my phone out and turned it on low brightness and texted Jayden, 'Dude, you didn't tell me Owen was in this class.' I sent the message and a buzz went off. I immediately checked my phone and noticed I didn't text Jayden, but Owen. I hid my face as he looked at me and put his hand on my thigh. "And what's so wrong with me in the class hm?" He said with the most monotone voice and straight face either. I stuttered as his hand moved farther up my leg. "N-n-nothing.". I kept turning more and more red, and since we were in the back of the class it was easier to hide under the desk. Class ended with me flustered red, but I ran out of there. Jayden was waiting for me outside the classroom and then we walked to our next class. I was not ready for the next class as it was FCS (Family Consumer Sciences), and I hated it. I didn't like it back in Colorado at all. Our teacher played baby noises as we took tests. I already had issues focusing, so I knew it wouldn't help. We headed into the class as she started talking about cooking and baking. She mentioned that we will be doing an assignment tomorrow with a partner and that we were getting to choose our partners. Jayden and I just looked at each other and chuckled a bit.