4: A Romantic Halloween

Chapter Four

I groaned loudly at the ringing of a cell phone. I rolled over in bed, reaching blindly to answer the damn thing. "Sorry, babe, I didn't want to wake you," I heard Stefan.

"Hmm?" I hummed, grabbing hold of the phone before it was snatched out of my hand.

"Damon, it's early," I heard Stefan say. I slowly sat up in bed as I felt it dip. Upon opening my eyes, a pair of blue eyes stared back at me.

"Mama," Maverick called out.

I smiled, reaching to take the toddler who was peered over Stefan's shoulder. "Hi, handsome," I cooed as he settled onto my lap now.

"I'm on the way," I heard Stefan sigh loudly.

"What now?" I asked my husband.

"You don't want to know," he said, turning to face me finally. "Um, anyways, how are you feeling? Hungover or nauseous at all?"

I furrowed my brows, considering it for a second, but, "I feel fine," I mused, slightly surprised.

Stefan and I shared looks of relief. "So, you don't mind me heading to campus to meet Damon for something?" He asked.

"I do mind," I frowned. "We're not spending a lot of time together these days, Stefan."

He sighed, "I know, but what can we do? It's an emergency right now. If it wasn't—"

"It's always an emergency. Our lives have been one never ending nightmare for the last four years," I cut him off.

He snorted, "we've had some good moments."

"But you know what I mean," I said. "I miss when we went off together. For old times sake, can we deal with Damon's screw up, together?"

Stefan chuckled, but nodded his head to the toddler climbing from my lap to his. "What do we do with this chunky little guy?" He asked, ticking my nephew's belly.

Maverick squealed, trying to move towards me for protection. "Stop Teffy!" Maverick laughed, squirming on his back as he landed in my lap, one of his hands gripping my shirt.

"Knock on Matt's door," I suggested, swatting Stefan's hand away as Maverick got louder and louder with his giggles.

"Okay, okay. Give me the baby, you get dressed," my husband said, leaning over to give me a kiss on the cheek. "Say bye to Mama," he told Mav as he picked him up.

"No, bye-bye," Maverick frowned.

I kissed his chubby face, "Mama will be back. You're going with daddy. But I'll see you later. I love you. A whole lot."

"Love you lots," Maverick grumbled, blowing me a kiss. I laughed while Stefan left the room, trying to assure my nephew/son that he would see us both later.

***

I stood in the middle of Alaric's apartment with my jaw slacked in disbelief. My husband and his idiot brother were dragging in a grey corpse. Oscar. This was Damon's emergency!

"How the hell did you let this happen?" I asked my brother in law angrily. Oscar was our bargaining chip to get Elena back.

"Don't even think about blaming this on me! I'm not the one that unscrewed his heart," Damon hissed in return, struggling to get Oscar on the couch.

"No, you're just the one who chased him down, kidnapped him and are still technically holding him hostage," Stefan chimed in.

"To get Elena back!" Damon argued.

"And how's that working out for you? Because from where I'm standing, she's in more danger than ever because you won't let her rest!"

"You spend one day with Mommy Dearest, and now you're on her side?"