Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

"No Katherine. I don't date because it's not safe. Your life was turned upside down when you came to me before."

"At the club? That was hardly your fault. I walked right into it." I pointed out gently. "And you let me out early, put me exactly where I wanted you to."

He sighed and began pacing along the room. "I was going to find you, I had every intention of doing just that. And then you released that damn video and all of the sudden you were enemy number one. I had to call in so many damn favors and work alongside that disgusting mob just to keep you alive."

"Okay but again, that was my fault not yours. I don't see how-"

"Your career took off and I knew if I came back to you that you would just lose it all."

"That's not true. Without you as my motivation I wouldn't even have a career." I said excluding the part about how I would gladly give up the career if that meant having him.

"If I showed affection to you again everyone would know you were my weakness. Everyone would try to exploit you to get to me. It wasn't safe for you. It's never been safe for you. I mean, did you see how they were trying to use you against me! You aren't safe with me Katherine."

"And I will be without you?" I argued. "This is bullshit, so I don't even get a say in any of this? What I want doesn't matter?"

"Don't you see?" He yelled. "If you stay with me I will ruin you!"

"Don't you see?" I shot back equally loud. "Without you I already am ruined!"

"You're being overdramatic." He scoffed.

"And you're a liar!" I yelled. He raised a curious eyebrow. "You're not scared for my safety or my job. You just don't want me and you don't have the guts to say it!" I said and shoved him.

"That's not true." He said taking a step backwards.

"Then you're just a coward! You want me and that terrifies you. You're scared to open up to anyone because you think too highly of yourself to admit that you might just need someone as much of the rest of us! You're scared because admitting you want me means that you're human just like me, just like Pietro, just like everyone and you aren't willing to accept that. You're not a damn God Alessio. You're human just like me, just like Pietro, why can't you just accept that."

He actually laughed at this. "Obviously I already have admitted I want you so your logic is flawed."

"Then you're just scared to act on it! Scared that you'll feel something you've never felt before."

"I'm not scared." He shot back.

"Then prove it!" I yelled and threw my hands out. "Kiss me and prove that you aren't!"

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me into him hard making me gasp. He wrapped one arm around my waist and took my chin between his thumb and index finger he gently tilted it upward. I stared at him with wide eyes. I leaned forward onto my toes and closed my eyes. We were so close now I could feel his breath against my face.

My lips were puckered and parted just slightly, ready and waiting for him. Time was moving in slow motion and suddenly he said one simple, soft, word.

"No."

--------------------------------------------
Early Monday update. Because I'm not even going to lie, my best friend dragged me to my first exotic male dancers showing and it was awesome and at one point they wore suits and ties and yes, fedoras. I was really, really not looking forward to going (anxiety issues) but it ended up being a ton of fun and put in such a good mood that...TADA! You get another early update <3

Alright, who the hell else is throwing a huge fit right now? You're probably extremely frustrated by now. WHY WON'T THEY JUST DO IT ALREADY, riiight?

I find my favorite stories are usually the ones that do frustrate me. Same with televison shows. The ones where it's obvious that two people should really just be together but it takes like three seasons before the figure it out? Books when you're just reaching the brink of insanity when it finally does happen? I want you guys to be so excited when they finally DO figure it out that you scream FINALLY, I want you to get so excited you squeal, hell, I want you to chuck your phone across the room in a moment of insanity. So maybe you are insanely frustrated by this wall between Alessio and Kate, but it comes down. It's just a matter of time. I promise.

But honestly, I liked this chapter, even the way it ended. Because it showed a little bit of weakness in Alessio. His avoiding confrontation, big bad mafia boss is afraid to have a simple conversation? I think it's both hilarious and adorable and I kind of liked ending the chapter knowing everyone would be flipping out. (;

Short chapter, so will update again this week. Probably midweek, Wednesday or Thursday.

Friendly reminder that I will be rewriting a chapter in Alessio's point of view. Vote on which chapter you would like to reread in Alessio's point of view. chapters 1-41. Vote in the form of comments, or if you are a silent reader and would like to remain silent for whatever reason feel free to message me your favorite Alessio chapters instead.

I had said I would start writing on June 10th, but it seems awfully far away...so I think I will accept votes until this Saturday. That way you guys will get your other chapter from this week and have a few days to choose which one you really want me to rewrite. You CAN tell me more than one chapter you'd prefer but I would keep it to as few as possible because only one will be rewritten and I will do so strictly on whichever one the most people want, voting for only the ones you REALLY want would increase the chances of it much more than saying "I want ALL of them!!" And so on.

This is a bonus to you guys as the whole book is to be written in Kate's POV, I am only rewriting one in Alessio's POV because you guys are SO awesome and we passed over 1k votes which obviously excited me.

Please do remember, as always, to vote and comment.