The Graveyard

'Right then, you all know what to do,' said Dumbledore, looking around at Moody, McGonagall, Flitwick, Hagrid, and Y/N. 'Red sparks and you make your way in as quickly as possible, the maze should mostly part for you but if not, Reductor curses should get you through with no trouble.'

Dumbledore held out several red luminous stars and each of them took one, clipping it to their hats.

'These will signify you as one of the maze guards. I trust all of you to get it done.' and with a nod, the five of them turned and began making their way out of the Great Hall, and down towards the Quidditch pitch.

'Nervous, Y/N?' asked Minerva.

'A little bit,' said Y/N, 'I'm glad Dumbledore trusts me, but I just hope I can prove it's deserved.'

'I think it is,' squeaked Professor Flitwick. 'We all know you're capable, let's see you prove it.'

They entered the Quidditch pitch through one of the entryways and made their way over towards where the four champions stood. The pitch was alight with the buzzing sound of voices. Y/N turned his eyes towards the stand and caught site of the cluster of red that also contained his girlfriend. She waved happily down at him, beaming.

'We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze,' said McGonagall once they'd arrived in front of the champions. Y/N saw all four sets of eyes linger on him. Harry's with a smile, the others with varying looks of confusion, some polite, other nasty.

'If you get into any difficulty, and wish to be rescued, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you, do you understand?'

The champions nodded.

'Off you go then,' said Bagman.

'Crush them,' Y/N whispered to Harry, and he moved off to take his position on the northern side of the maze. As he walked, he heard Bagman's voice boom out from behind him.

'Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each, Mr Cedric Diggory and Mr Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!'

Y/N practically felt the ground trembling beneath him from the clapping, stomping, and cheering. 'In second place, with eighty points, Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!'

'And in third place, Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy! So, on my whistle, Harry, and Cedric!' said Bagman.

'Three, two, one.'

The whistle sounded. Harry and Cedric had entered the maze.

Y/N began his patrol. They were all to walk clockwise around the maze, but very slowly just to ensure that they had eyes on the entire thing at any point. Ahead of Y/N in the order was Moody and behind him, Minerva.

The second whistle sounded; Krum had entered the maze.

It was around this point that Y/N realised he wouldn't really have much to do during his patrol. Assuming he even saw sparks, there was no guarantee he would be close to them. And the maximum amount he'd see would be four. He doubted he'd be fully necessary.

But that did give him time to think, something that, with the task prep, had been very rare recently.

His mind began evaluating the year. Potley, Daughtery, Snow. The Dominators as they were known. They'd been hailed as being the best of Voldemort's forces. But Y/N had been able to defeat them. Admittedly with some tricks and a bit of luck but he'd managed to.

And yet still, someone had modified his memory.

The third whistle sounded. Fleur had entered.

So, who could have done the modification? It has to be someone new. There were a lot of new faces at Hogwarts this year. But as Y/N had already surmised it couldn't be a student. Not for a spell of that power.