Chapter 9: Every Moment

"Do you think she's really going to walk down that aisle?" Severus asked Dumbledore as they both stood beneath the wedding arch in the astronomy tower. He couldn't help but have doubts.

Maybe she would flee.

"I think she will. She does love you, after all," Dumbledore told him warmly. Despite that, Severus knew love wasn't always enough. "Did you tell Laura you changed the venue?"

"No, I wanted it to be a surprise," Severus responded. "Minerva was helping her get ready and then she was going to bring Laura here. But I'm sure Laura will figure it out when they're on their way up the steps." Severus looked at Dumbledore, giving him a small smile. "Thank you for officiating."

Dumbledore smiled warmly, nodding. "Well, it makes sense to have it here," Dumbledore said, watching the staff begin taking their seats. It was going to be a small wedding, with a few staff Severus knew Laura liked. It would be small and intimate, but perfect. "You and Laura have had very significant moments up here... part of your first date was up here, you proposed up here..." Dumbledore leaned in, making sure only Severus could hear his final comment. "You, much to my dismay, had sex up here."

Severus froze, eyes growing wide for a moment, before his face flushed. "How did you know about that?"

"You would be surprised by how much I know," Dumbledore said with a smirk. "But don't you dare do that again."

Severus stared, feeling embarrassment filling his body before nodding in agreement. "Never again," he said quietly, letting silence invade the air for a moment. "Headmaster, I'll need a few minutes with Laura after the ceremony."

Dumbledore smiled softly. "That will be fine," he told him. "We'll need a few minutes to finish setting things up in the great hall."

Severus nodded, not saying a word before he gazed around, looking at all the decorations. Despite the snow falling around the school, the tower itself was a comfortable temperature, filled with warming enchantments. The wedding arch Hagrid had put up was covered in ivy, adorned with red roses and bright yellow sunflowers. The chairs were accented with flowers and the ceiling had warm white candles floating right beneath it, giving a warm hue to the tower.

"You know, I've been training Laura," Dumbledore told him as they waited.

Severus looked over at him. "She mentioned it briefly, earlier." Severus recalled the day before, when he saw a dark purple bruise on Laura's back.

"What, did Dumbledore beat you up or something?" Severus had questioned. "What is he training you in?"

"Different types of magic," Laura had told him. "Some wandless magic, some new spells. I tried to use wandless magic and it backfired... hence the bruise."

"But you've done wandless magic before," Severus reminded her. "Not many people can do wandless magic."

"Yeah, but I can't do it all. I'm not perfect or someone with godlike powers," she had responded. "Besides, students at Uagadou utilize wandless magic."

"It's not the same as what you can do," Severus had told her. "You say you don't have godlike powers, but you're pretty damn powerful."

Laura sighed. "You told me I needed to control my powers so that's what I'm learning to do."

"She's impressive," Dumbledore said with a soft smile, bringing Severus back to the present. "I can't help but wonder what would have happened had she gone to school here... if someone had cared enough to teach her."

"Is it mostly wandless magic you're teaching her?" Severus asked curiously. Laura had mentioned it earlier to him, but didn't give many details.

"We've done some, but I'm not an expert in the subject," Dumbledore said thoughtfully. "She needs a lot more training, but she's a quick study."