Chapter 7: If Only She Knew

Severus walked slowly to Dumbledore's office, dragging his feet against the icy stone floors, letting the pitter-patter of rain bumping against the castle invade his ears. He dreaded this visit, knowing he wanted more than anything to confront Dumbledore about his role in the death of Laura's mother, but despite wanting answers, he was terrified of knowing them.

Knowing the answers, knowing the truth, very rarely leads to happiness.

It often leads to grief.

To pain.

Severus walked along, letting his mind wander away from him, slipping deeper into his curiosity.

Did Dumbledore have anything to do with Elizabeth's death? Did he encourage it? Did he know her intentions and yet did nothing about it?

Wouldn't that make him to blame?

Rain began pounding harder against the building, thunder rumbling the ground, yanking Severus out of his thoughts.

It had been raining a lot lately; a never-ending flood since he and Laura had returned from her childhood home.

A childhood home filled with ghosts.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Severus froze after passing the gargoyle guarding Dumbledore's office, hearing Laura's voice radiating from behind the heavy door leading to the office.

"Laura, you don't understand..." Dumbledore calmly replied.

Severus took a step closer to the door, his curiosity overtaking him as he tried to listen, but he nearly tripped over something. He looked down, glaring at what caused his fumble.

"Minerva," Severus said quietly, noticing the tabby cat sitting against the door, signature square marks around the eyes a dead giveaway.

Minerva warped back into her human form, rolling her eyes. "Dammit, Severus," she muttered. "I was trying to figure out what was going on."

"What?" Severus asked, stepping closer.

"Laura and Dumbledore are arguing," Minerva whispered.

"Well, that's apparent," he said dryly. "But what about?"

"I—" Minerva stopped talking as she heard shouting from behind the door.

"You're different because you have never used your powers to harm people!" Dumbledore yelled.

"And what if I had, hmm?" Laura snapped. "What if I had been a horrible, evil person that killed everyone in sight?"

"Well, my dear, had you been using your powers for evil, we may have been hunting you instead of Tom," Dumbledore said calmly. "However, if you had taken a darker path in life, you may have done us all a favor and taken care of Tom for us but then... you would remain quite the problem."

"How do you figure that?"

"I believe that your powers would become all consuming if you let them take over," Dumbledore told Laura calmly. "You would be able to kill anyone with the flick of your wrist if I'm right about what you are."

"You have no real proof of this mystical, magical bloodline, though," Laura countered. "If my parents were alive, maybe they could have provided some insight into that. However, they're both dead." Even through the heavy door, Severus could hear the bitterness in Laura's voice.

"Laura, I had nothing to do with what happened to your mother," Dumbledore told her. "Have you read the entire journal? Has it provided clarity? Or has it left you with more questions?"