Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Home

Spring came quickly, bringing rain and green buds all over the maple trees. The birds sang in the trees, and the deer brought their young fawns to drink at the river for the first time. The Spring months were always a peaceful time, a promise of better things to come. On one sunny day, Steve was taking a stroll by the water when he came across something strange. A person. The person was curled in a ball in a bush, unconscious. He shook them, furrowing his brow. He didn't recognize the person, but he scooped them up in his arms and carried them towards the cabin. Eddie saw him approaching, and trotted to him quickly. "I found them by the water." Steve panted, breathless from carrying the person. "Billy! We've got another one!" The other boy, who was chopping wood, put down his ax and walked over to them. They went into the big cabin and put them on the couch, covering them with a blanket. "He'll wake up soon." Billy sighed, putting his hands on his hips. Steve studied the person. He had long black hair, a sharp jaw and pale skin. "I wonder how he ended up here." Eddie whispered as they left the cabin. "Just like we did. He died."

A few days later, the man woke up, sitting up and scanning the room in confusion. "Good morning sleeping beauty." Steve teased, offering him a glass of water. "Thanks." He drank it, wiping sleep from his eyes. "Where am I?" The Raven-haired boy asked. "Welcome to the afterlife my friend." "No... that... that's not right. I didn't die. I went through a portal, and then everything went dark..." he trailed off, staring into space. "Sure pal, I'll give you a tour of the place." Steve held out his hand and the man took it. "Thanks. I'm Argyle." He offered. "Jonathan's friend?! You know what? I'm not even going to ask." Steve ran a hand through his hair and led Argyle out onto the porch.

"You're Steve, aren't you?" Argyle grinned. "Yup." "I can't believe It worked! That was stressful my dude." "What worked?" Steve asked him. "Finding you. I'm here to bring your soul back to your body bro." Argyle looked at him like he was nuts. "Excuse me? It's been like five years, I don't think my body can take me anymore." "Years? It's only been like not even a week dude." Argyle raised an eyebrow. "What?" "Ya, it's been a pretty hectic week too. But now I can, you know, free your soul and all that jazz." Argyle nodded, as if content with himself. Steve couldn't speak, just stand with his jaw on the floor and stare at Argyle like he was a ghost. "Are you being serious right now?" He asked quietly. "I think so." Argyle gulped, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Holy shit, I gotta tell the others!" "Others? There's more of you?" "Come on!" Argyle ran after Steve as he sprinted out to the garden, where Eddie was planting some flowers. "Eddie!" "Ya?" "Guess what?!" "I hate guessing, just tell me." Eddie teased. "Argyle is here to send our souls back to our bodies, we're not dead!" He jumped up and down, and Eddie chuckled. "We're definitely dead Stevie, unfortunately." Eddie sighed. "I'm here to set you free, is this it?" Argyle asked. "Wait, you actually believe this bullshit? We're dead Steve, we can't be 'set free'" he used air quotes, and Steve's face fell. "You're right, I'm sorry. I was just getting my hopes up." Steve swallowed, turning and walking away. "Steve, wait. I didn't mean... shit." He sighed. "I'll be back." He mumbled to Argyle, chasing after Steve.

"Baby, please don't walk away." He whimpered. Steve stopped walking, sighing sadly. "I didn't mean to upset you, I'm just worried about you. I thought you were happy here?" "What? Of course I'm happy here, but don't you want to go home?" Steve turned around, but the expression on Eddie's face was something unfamiliar. "Steve... I can't go home, even if I wanted to. The whole world hates me, I would just end up in prison or dead again. I'm sorry Steve, but I can't go home with you." Suddenly, Steve engulfed him in a hug, crying softly. "I love you so much Eds..." "I love you too Steve, with every fiber of my being." They held each other for a while, until Steve pushed Eddie away and looked into his eyes. "I'm not going. Not without you." "What? No, you have to go home. They need you. They sent Argyle here to find you. You can't stay here, you don't belong in hell, Stevie." Eddie sighed. "But it's not Hell, it's heaven." Steve whispered. "Maybe, but what about Dustin? He doesn't deserve to never see you again. And Robin, who's going to drive her everywhere?" "Dustin is strong, he'll get back on his feet. And Rob, she'll just have to get a license, and then I'll have my own little victory, even after death." He laughed, and Eddie smiled. "Are you sure?" "Yes, I'm sure." "Ok." Eddie pressed a sweet kiss to his lips, and they both let out a sigh of relief.

Sorry this chapter is a little bit shorter. Have a good day :)