Chapter 5 - Falling again

The door opens, and Thomas steps into the new room. The bright flashes visible from the door make the people in front step back . Curious, I hop on my feet to get a better look, but I stand way too far away. After ten seconds, the next person enters the room, and the line shifts a tiny bit. I can just barely catch a glimpse of the girl walking through the door. Her short, green dyed strands of hair peak in all directions, and she is wearing a fabulous suit. She then disappears from my view, and I sink back into my old position. The line shifts a tiny bit again. This is really going to take forever.

As the line narrows by small steps, I turn around. I catch Mira's gaze, and she smiles briefly. Her eyes don't smile, and I try to tell her that everything will be fine, but my body language falls short. She shrugs, and my gaze wanders to Levi. He looks very pale, and is biting his nails. He doesn't realize I'm looking at him. Someone behind me coughs, and I quickly take a few steps forward. The line has suddenly narrowed down. I hope it will go well with Levi. He really seems like a lovely boy, but he's far too shy to show that to other people. Just like Mira. They seem alike.

Curious, I look at the person who should be next. It's number 16, the young girl. The one who had to scream so much when she was drawn. I can't remember her name, but she looks pathetic. A huge dress slouches around her body, and her hair stands in all directions. When she looks back nervously, I see that her lipstick is in all places except her lips. From the looks of it, she hasn't had anyone to help her. With hunched shoulders, she walks into the room, and bright flashes surround her.

I let my mind wander a bit, until there are only two people left in front of me. The girl in the front looks beautiful. Her blond curls lie shiny over her shoulder, and her dark blue dress fits perfectly. Chances are she is going to be a crowd favorite. She steps quietly into the hallway, and then there is only 1 person standing in front of me. I press my nails into my palm, and can almost hear Rose's voice. 'Don't do it Ash, can't possibly be good for you.' I smile, and a gust of sadness falls over me. Will I ever see her again? Or will my family get an invitation to bury my body in a few days?

The person in front of me now steps through the door as well, and suddenly I am in front. I feel dozens of eyes poking into my back, and I swallow. I don't feel prepared at all. What if things go wrong? What if everyone hates me? Slowly I count to ten, smoothing my clothes. Nerves throb through my body, and then I step through the door. Immediately, lights start flashing, and I feel the urge to squeeze my eyes shut. I force myself to smile, and keep my eyes open. At the end of the red carpet, I pose uncomfortably, with my hands at my sides. I'm just attempting something, hoping it looks nice.

After a few seconds I have had enough, and walk on to the next door. My feet trip over a bump in the carpet, and I fall forward. With cheeks redder than the carpet, I remain stunned. The cameras flash again, and slowly I stand up. Tears form behind my eyes, but I force them back and swallow the lump in my throat. With my gaze fixed on the ground, I step through the door, entering a huge room. On the stage is a large table, with numbered seats. I climb up the steps, and walk past all the empty chairs to seat 50. Once there, I slide the chair back, and lower myself onto it. The tablecloth hides my lower body, so I quickly take off my heels. They are pinching, and my toes hurt. I don't understand how people can walk on these all day.

Slowly the places fill up, and I get a little more comfortable. Everyone here is nervous and scared, and has no idea what is to come. The space we are in is beautiful. The wooden floor compliments the creamy white walls, and ivy hangs on the walls, with lights woven through them. It has a fairy-tale effect. In the center of the room we sit, on the stage. Around it are cameras everywhere, to get shots at every possible angle. In a secluded area next to the cameras are people with computers and notebooks. They study us as if we were monkeys in a zoo.