Ragdolls to Riches

Start from the beginning

"It's a must for my work as well."

"Which is?"

"Fundraising for charities."

"Ah, you find wealthy philanthropists such as me and my husband and spend all of our money."

"Only on good causes."

"Define good."

"Over dinner. Your place?"

"I'll phone my butler and have him whip something up."

"Great, I'll go get my coat."

As she walked away, I couldn't help but smile. It had felt like forever since I had met a woman around my age that I could actually feel comfortable around. Lots of men in Bruce's 'friend' circle were much older, and their wives were always a bit prissy. But Selena seemed nice, and since she was connected to charity work it would be worth it to have her number in my phonebook.

I called Alfred to let him know what was going on before I walked up to Bruce.

"Hey," I said, and he excused himself from his conversation. "I made a friend, and we're going to our place to have dinner."

"Friend?" Bruce asked, his eyes going to scan the crowd.

"Selena Kyle, red dress, drop-dead gorgeous."

His eyes stopped when he found her, then looked back down at me.

"She can't hold a candle to you, princess," Bruce said with a charming smile before he kissed me. "Have fun, I'll see you later tonight."

"Thanks, love."

I drove Selena to the manor, where Alfred served us nachos and we talked about work and gossip. We both laughed freely, which was a relief to me. I was glad she wasn't a stuck-up.

"You're really into... dog art," Selena said, looking up at a painting that was in the dining room.

"It was Bruce's fathers," I explained, looking up at the painting. "Not really my taste, but if he likes it then I do too."

"Dessert, Miss Kyle?" Alfred offered as he walked in.

"Your famous nachos will be hard to beat, Alfred," Selena said with a smile. "Mind if I, dessert, you two for a minute."

"The lady's lounge is down the hall to your right." Selena nodded and walked out. Alfred turned to me. "Miss Kyle is most pleasant, ma'am. It's nice to see you live a little, I was afraid you were going to become more and more like master Bruce."

"Well, she is intimate with all of Gotham's charities," I pointed out as I sipped my drink. "But, you're right, it's nice to make a new friend."

The doorbell rang, and Alfred went to answer it. After a minute, I heard a familiar laugh coming from the entrance. I quickly got up and went to the door to find Ragdoll, a new villain, grabbing something off a mantel. I immediately pressed the button on my phone to turn on the Batwave.

"Hello," Ragdoll said sheepishly, looking between me and Selena, who had come in a different way.

I clenched my fists, ready for a fight, but reminded myself that I couldn't let Selena become suspicious of me.

"The looks on your faces!" Ragdoll exclaimed. "Priceless! Perhaps I'll snatch those too."

He laughed and turned to walk out, and I went to follow until Alfred stopped me.

"Ma'am, considering the mixed company perhaps Ragdoll's best left for the proper authorities?" He quietly suggested.

"Need to make sure Ragdoll's reachable," I muttered, before walking up to Ragdoll. "Hey, I suggest you leave the heirloom behind." I grabbed one of the straps of the backpack he had put it in, discretely placing a tracker on it.