Chapter 5. A glass of milk

Start from the beginning

Then I remembered why I had waited for her so impatiently.

"Hold up, Chanel!" I called after her as she was just about to lock up the cell.

"What is it, Stephie girl?" Another pinch of past memories. STEPHIE. My mother. Katie. Even "daddy" called me that.

Chanel came back inside, seeing my tone was serious.

"Listen, have you any idea who set off the alarm?" I asked in a low voice.

"Oh, you mean that hussle bussle." She said. " Well, a guard of coarse."

"I know that. But, who told them about it?" Chanel looked at me a bit worriedly. Probably dissapointed at the thought that I might have tried to escape. "Just curious, you know?" I added.

"I aint too sure, Steph" Chanel shrugged. But then she looked at me straight in the eye.

"So do you know?" I pressed.

Chanel sighed, "It was definatly one of the inmates. Even I have to admit that this isn't the securest place on Earth."

"So I keep thinking." I mumbled.

"I mean, anyone could just get their hands on a key and be off. Just like ya witnessed."

"OK. Thank you, Chanel."

She shook her head and took hold of my shoulder with her free hand.

"But, Steph, don't be thinking of doin' anythin' stupid. Ya hear?" Chanel said seriously. "You've already got ten years in this shit hole! And I don't wanna be comin' in and out, seeing this sweet kid with a whole life ahead, for any longer."

I glared at her, wanting to slap her across the face, I felt like I was back in aschool. Being taught not to do this and not to do that. Although I knew she was only being thoughtful and warning me. But, onme rule was, TAKE HELP FROM NOBODY.

 Something flashed across my eyes. I followed what ever it was and gasped, eyes wide, teeth bared.

"YOU!!!" I screeched and lounged for word at the goodie-too-shoes rat.

I accidentaly pushed Chanel out of the way and the tray tiped over, the glass of milk cracking and shattering to the ground.

I ran to the boy through the open door. The fear on his face was comical and wanted me to grin. There was a guard beside him, but none the less I attacked him. Punching him in the gut and tackling him to the ground, hard.

"Filthy rat!" I spat and punched him in the throat . His face scrunched up like paper and he looked as if about to vomit.

I was howelled off the barely breathing boy by the guard.

"Hey, take it easy. Take it easy!" He said as I kicked and struggled like crazy against his grasp.

He shoved me back in my cage.

"Another burst out like that and I'm reporting ye." He warned, locking the door. I clung onto the bars.

"You'll pay!" I screamed furiously after the boy. "You'll pay for betraying your own kind! You think your all goodie-too-shoes, but your just like the rest of us."

I breathed quickly and heavily. I wasn't through with him yet.

Boy that guy better be hiding someplace at Yard Time. I thought. Cause he's not going to come back in once he comes out.

I looked behind me. Chanel was missing. She left the broken glass on the floor with the milk splashed all over the floor.

"I must have really disappointed her." I mumbled. "Or..." I tilted my head and knelt at the glass. I picked up the largest one.

Could she have hurried away and left this here for me? To kill the rat boy? I shook my head. Chanel would never approve of death, and especially me comencing it. Or did she simply run? Afraid of me? Never willing to come back? Had I disappointed her so much?

No matter. For whatever reason, the broken glass was still here, I was given a golden opportunity.

It was going to take more than just a tiny razor to kill Rat Boy. Sure, it worked with Peter. But it was just him and me in a small cell, with no nosey eyes or ears listening in.

I wouldn't have time to struggle with Rat Boy before inmates would notice, and there were plenty guards in the yard; watching out for any suspicious activity.

No. I would have to work quick and fast.

I examinded the sharp edges of the glass.

And this baby was just perfect for the job.