Her thoughts were soon forgotten when she saw Vhagar descending. The dragon did not head back to the Dragonpit. Instead, the beast landed right outside the walls of the Red Keep. Rhaenyra got off the Dragon's back and when their eyes met, she smiled sheepishly at Alicent's unimpressed glare.

***

"Ouch! Alicent you're tying it too tight!"

"Well pardon me if I'm in a bit of a hurry because someone chose to go for a joyride and not get ready for their own ceremony."

"I already said I was sorry!"

A comfortable sigh fell from my lips when Alicent loosened my dress. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, and then at Alicent's who was standing behind me. I had prepared for days for this event, yet when the day finally came I felt nervous. I wasn't sure what the nerves were for, not when all I had to do was stand and look pretty while the men all swore their allegiance to me and swear to honour the decision my father made in choosing me as heir.

Alicent seemed to understand my turmoil when my eyes met because she wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me from behind. I leaned into her, my hands gripping hers tightly.

"You're going to be alright" she whispered to me, leaning her cheek against mine. "You're going to be alright."

"Thank you, Alicent" I whispered to her, grateful for her support.

I had realized not too long ago that I had grown dependent on a few things in this life. One was the love of my family, another was my dragon, and finally was Alicent's support. I had made friends with her with the sole purpose to exploit it around the time of the Dance. Yet I had grown so close to her that even the thought of exploiting her left a bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't sure what I would do when the time came and should the need arise.

"Things would have been so much easier had I been born a boy" I sighed. "All of this would have happened when I was a babe. I didn't need to worry about any of this" I whispered.

"You'll have new responsibilities now. Duties to the realm that you can't avoid" Alicent whispered to me.

"Are you saying I avoid duties now?" I asked in a teasing manner. Alicent rolled her eyes with a smile.

"You would have to think about the realm instead of yourself more now. You'd have to do certain things that you made it vocal that you'd rather not do."

"Like take a man for husband?"

This was another difference between the two of us. Alicent fantasized about the day she would get a husband and start a family of her own. She wanted to do the duties of a wife and follow in the footsteps of her mother. I on the other hand had no such thoughts. Whether it was because I was a man myself or it was Rhaenyra's personality meshing with mine, I didn't want to have a husband.

"Another thing that would have been easier if I was born a man, I would not have to take some Lord for husband. I would have taken you for a wife and we would be exploring the world on dragon's back."

"And have cakes?"

"Oh, we can never forget cakes."

We shared a glance and a smile, still holding each other. Finally, Alicent pulled away slowly.

"Come on, we'll be late."

"How can we be late if it's my ceremony?"

The young woman rolled her eyes at me while I grinned at her in response.

***

The outfit that had been made specifically for the ceremony was thankfully a comfortable one. It was a magnificent gown of rich velvets and all the colours of House Targaryen. The bodice was black velvet embroidered with three-headed dragons breathing flames of garnet, ruby and fire opal. The sleeves were white, slashed with cloth of silver, while the skirts were black, red, and orange silk, the last a bright golden satin. The mantle that flowed from my shoulders was a heavy cloth of gold, lined with ermine, and fastened on my breast with a golden clasp in the shape of a three-headed dragon with ruby eyes. It was the only thing that I wished I didn't have to wear.

My father sat on the Iron Throne, watching me with pride in his eyes as I walked towards him. The way was made for me, Lords of Great and Small houses on each side of me watching me. Most didn't know me, most weren't sure what to expect from a female heir to the Iron Throne. Most were hoping that my father would remarry and have a son to replace me.

It did not bother me that they thought so, they were entitled to think whatever they wanted after all.

I stopped at the foot of the Iron Throne and turned to face the crowds. I saw the banners of various houses in the Throne Room.

Not all houses had come of course, only the major houses had been invited to swear their fealties and the fealties of their Vassal Houses. The Vassal Houses were after all loyal to them and to whoever they were loyal to.

"Corlys of House Velaryon. Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark" called the Herald. The serious Lord of the Tides stepped forward before going to his knees.

"I, Corlys Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, Princess Rhaenyra. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new."

We shared a look and a smile. The Lord of the Tides had been grateful to me for my hand in pushing my father to act against this Triarchy. The oath he swore here, he had sworn to me a while back as his show of thanks. He had also hoped that I would show such pragmatism in other matters that come in the future.

Lord Corlys stood and stepped back to stand beside his wife, who looked conflicted. Not long ago she had put her claim forward as heir, but nobody had supported her then. And now here she stood, watching a woman be named heir. I supposed that it could not have been easy for her.

Lords Celtigar and Bar Emmon swore the same fealty and stepped back without another word. Those two houses were old supporters of House Targaryen, from the times of Aegon the Conqueror. If the time came, I had no doubt they would support me.

Next came forward an ageing man wearing the blazon of House Tully, a leaping silver trout on a field of blue and mud red. Lord Grover Tully went to his knees slowly and slowly but firmly swore the words. He was not happy, I could tell. Lord Grover was a man of principles, someone who honoured traditions. A female heir was anything but traditional.

Lords Tyrell and Lannister were the next to swear their fealties, both powerful men but neither would be around by the time of the dance. Lord Tyrell's heir by then would be an infant and Lord Lannister's heir would be a burned suitor for my hand.

Jason Lannister from what I could remember of him was a show-off who loved his wine and women. He would ask for my hand and would be denied it. In what he assumed would be a slight against, he and his brother Ser Tyland Lannister would act against me and plot my downfall.

Or would they? I am not the same Rhaenyra that would 'slight' him and earn his enmity. Maybe I could use this man and his brother in some way. Maybe I could get them to my side through some other means. House Lannister was powerful, and having them on my side would bolster my number for when the time comes. I'll have to put more thought into that avenue.

But the Lord that I refuse to make a friend of was the one that was swearing fealties to me right now. Lord Hobert Hightower was the older brother of Ser Otto Hightower and the current Lord of Old Town. He and his brother were the reason for the Dance to begin with. Aegon did not want to be King, yet they had forced him to be. They had forced Alicent to push for it as well. I was not about to forget that so easily.

The final Lord to bend the knee was Lord Rickon Stark of Winterfell, who would be the father of a stern and formidable man. The man was loyal, as would his son be.

With the final oath sworn, I turned to my father. The King remained on his Throne, watching me.

"I, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name. King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men. Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm do hereby name Rhaenyra Targaryen Princess of Dragonstone and Heir to the Iron Throne."

I lowered my head when the declaration was made, as did the people beside me and probably those standing behind me. I remained like that for a moment, before lifting my head and holding it up with pride. It was done, I was now the Heir to The Iron Throne.