12. Boy from the Train

Start from the beginning

        "Um, yep. I guess I'm coming too..." I mumbled. I glanced at Peppermint Hair and introduced myself. He did the same. Turning ahead, I beckoned the two to follow me. We began walking to our destination.

        It was uncomfortable. Not only because it was hot out, but because we were walking in silence. Well, Himawari was happily humming to herself but Todoroki and I didn't say a thing. It just got even worse as time went by. I decided to break the ice and speak. Or the heat since there's no ice? Whatever.

        "So... How do you know Himawari?" I asked.

        "...We just met."

        "Oh. Okay."

        Overhearing our conversation, Himawari jumped in. "Hey, Todoroki! One time, Rin took me to the beach to go swimming, but then a scary octopus came! Me and Rin needed help, so heroes came! It was a bit scary, but I felt better that Rin was there with me," she said. "Hey, hey! Did you know that Rin is super strong?"

        "No, I didn't," Todoroki replied.

        I asked what she was talking about, but she continued showering me in praises.

        "Yeah! Rin is super strong and brave!" she exclaimed. "That whole time, she didn't scream or cry at all!"

        "U-um, I think that's enough..." I suggested.

        "It seems like someone is getting a bit flustered," a familiar voice said.

        I looked ahead to see Mrs. Gin. She wore a big, floppy sunhat with a blue ribbon on the top. She wore a white, floral cami with ankle-length blue jeans. Over her eyes, was sunglasses. As usual, she had expensive jewelry. In her arms were shopping bags. On each side of her were huge men wearing all black. I'm assuming they were her bodyguards.

        "Oh. It's you," I said, pointing at her.

        "Yes, of course, it is," she retorted. Bringing her perfectly manicured nails up to her eyes, she pulled her sunglasses down to exposed her eyes. They scanned Himawari and over to Todoroki, stopping on him. "Oh my. You should be honored to hear this from an esteemed woman like me, young man, but you are quite the looker."

         Hearing that, a perplexed expression crossed his face. "Why wouldn't be a looker? I have eyes."

        I gazed at him in disbelief. He seriously didn't understand that remark, did he? With features like that, shouldn't he know how to take a compliment?

       She let out a snort. "Unfortunately, your common sense is lacking..." She turned to me with a small frown. "Onishi-dearie, you ought to teach your boyfriend a bit more."

        "Wait what? Uh, this guy? He's not my boyfriend," I quickly said. "We literally just met seven minutes ago."

        Well technically, that was a lie. He's always sitting next to me on the train, but we've never interacted. Except for that one time when he saw the money in my backpack, and I accidentally groped him.

        She let out a gasp. "Oh! You did what?" she said with bulging eyes. I swore I saw a hint of mischief in them.

        Shoot, I forgot she could read my mind! I shouldn't have said that. Erm, thought that.

        Grabbing Himawari's hand, I told her that we had to go. Giving her a quick bow, I scurried away with Himawari as Todoroki trailed behind.

        "Rin, who was that pretty lady? Was that your friend?" Himawari innocently asked as we marched away.