4; Through the eyes of a child.

Start from the beginning

She's almost always in control of her surroundings. And yet, in instances like this, she finds herself keeping her guards down without realizing it.

Eyes slightly narrowed, she still found it in her to respond. "Yes?" Her voice came out strong, although the wariness in it was hard to miss.

A warm, and welcoming smile donned his features—the corners of his eyes crinkling because of it. He didn't seem fazed or taken aback by her reaction—as if he was expecting it. And, he was. "I'm sorry if I surprised you by my sudden action." His smile didn't falter for a split second. "I just wanted to confirm if it was really you."

Inaya's lips instantly curled as well, her tensed shoulders slagging as she morphed from that defensive stance, to a more laid back, but still guarded one. "Mr. Wafiq." Her tone lost the wariness from earlier as well. "Or can I call you Kamal instead? Figured it'd be awkward to address you as that since we will be working together."

"Only if I can call you Inaya as well."

She nodded without an ounce of hesitation whatsoever. "Of course you can." She wouldn't push away the one person in the Alpha Team with the potential of being her first friend there.

The others clearly aren't on team Inaya, and she doesn't blame then.

Kamal though seemed to be easier than the others. There still seems to be that trace of suspicion in him. But, he was more open minded towards seeing her in a different light as well before judging her.

She could tell that much, and it was more than enough for her.

"So..." His voice suddenly came again. "...what are you doing here? I didn't peg you to be the orphanage help type of person."

"That's a bit judgmental." She arched a brow slightly, an action that seems to be a habit of hers.

His smile widened for a brief second as he looked down. "No, it's not like that." His gaze met hers again. "I've just never seen you around here before. I'd remember your face since I kind of am a regular and you...well, we both know you're of a--"

"A criminal?" Her face became void of any emotion as she questioned, cutting his words shut. "One that's probably capable of any emotions other than greed, and selfishness?"

Kamal pressed his lips together, his smile no longer there. He wasn't certain how to take the situation because it turned right in a blink of an eye. He hadn't even gotten time to realize where it all went wrong. "No, that's not what I mean. I meant you aren't someone one can easily forget; you stand out effortlessly." He tried to defend himself, because he truly doesn't plan on becoming an enemy of hers.

Quite the contrary actually. Up until a minute ago he thought she's cool. She has a way of taking people by surprise.

She confirmed his thoughts, as if knowing what was going through his mind then when she suddenly smiled—her visage from earlier disappearing. "Relax." Her tone was comforting. "I was just piquing in your boss's words and thoughts." He couldn't tell if she was truly immune to the words from the way she voiced them out.

She seemed to not be fazed in the slightest but can he truly be certain?

"I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way." And yet, like the faithful friend and subordinate he is to the team leader, he was quick to try and lessen the intensity of the man's words even if he doesn't believe the words he's saying himself.

It appeared she knew as well from the simple, but knowing smile she flashed him. She didn't comment on that—choosing to fully ignore it instead. "Anyways." She shifted her gaze from him, to the surrounding area, "Your wife's a regular here, isn't she?" She popped up her question, before fixating it on him yet again. "How come I can't spot her anywhere?"

Kamal parted his lips to question how she's aware of that, but stopped himself when he realized how stupid it will sound knowing who she is now. "Right." He mumbled to himself, and as if knowing the thoughts running through his mind, Inaya offered him a small chuckle.

"Don't worry. I only know so much." That was her humble way of saying she knows almost everything. Well, the things she can access that is.

He could pretty much understand as well, without her having to elaborate. He ignored it as well. "She couldn't make it today." He didn't explain further, and she didn't push him.

Clearly, he doesn't want to share so he wouldn't prod. Though it sounds ridiculous knowing where she's coming from.

"—I can show you around the place if you want." He wasn't certain why exactly she's there, but he could only offer so much help, right?

Thankfully, she didn't turn him down. "I would very much appreciate that."

And that was how she found herself going around the place for the next forty-five minutes. Truth be told, she wasn't interested in that at the beginning. Or more like, she was hoping to be able to hold herself back and not get captured in the kids' moments. But, she failed woefully.

Because she suddenly found herself running around the place with the kids chasing her with water guns. Suddenly, she was no longer that calm, composed and sophisticated lady that stepped in early looking like she was ready for a photoshoot. No, this time around she was more like another kid, caught up in that joyful moment.

Kamal was supposed to be on her team. It was them two against about six kids. They thought they could handle it because they are adult and experienced in the real field. Turns out, neither of them realized a battlefield is different from kids playing ground.

There were no bulletproof vests to protect them from raining bullets, detonators that makes the ground quiver when it sets off, and fear that grips one in a tight hold. Instead, they were left with plastic guns filled with water, and trying to avoid getting wet as well.

Were they winning? No.

Inaya knew that as well the minute she found herself running across the field, squealing at the top of her lungs like a kid as well while the kids chase her around. Her body was damp, clearly from having her outfit soaked by the kids water and her breathing was slightly heaving.

She could go on if she was out in an actual field with little problem. But again, she wasn't in a field she's used to, and it seems she cannot win against a bunch of eleven-year-olds as well.

Perhaps it was because she was too caught up in that moment to realize it, but when she did, it was already too late. Her shoes made her slip due to the water on the tiles, and then she fell derriere flat on the ground. In a hasty defensive mechanism, she brought her hands up to protect her face from taking the impact of the fall.

The thump sound that accompanied her fall rang pretty loud in her ears, then it was silent for a while. It didn't last though, because suddenly, the sound of the kids' laughter reached her ears, clearly finding her predicament to be hilarious.

Inaya wouldn't lie, the fall actually hurts. And to think she'd been in a much tougher situation.

Once certain that she wasn't at risk of feeling any more physical pain, she dropped her hands to the side and then pushed herself to a sitting position. The first thing her gaze fell on though were the pair of Nike sneakers right in front of her—ones that clearly belongs to an adult and last she remembered, Kamal wasn't donning that.

She would know because she's that attentive.

Blinking a few times to clear her gaze of the slight blurriness, she rose her head up and she could've sworn her breath got caught in her throat that very moment. How could it not?

Standing right in front of her, and sporting his famous poker look was none other than the actual reason she came to the orphanage to begin with. His hands were folded over his broad torso, his stance one that befits soldiers on the field or something.

His lips were pulled into a tight line, eyes cold as ice. It was nothing new, it is after all the look that everyone knows him with, and hell does he pull it off.

Inaya swallowed thickly, suddenly no longer remembering the situation she was in. The kids' laughter ceased as well. Perhaps, it actually did or maybe it was all in her head but she doesn't care.

All that she cares about was that man.

Alpha Team Leader, Aadil Bashir Kari in his glory.