Theia didn't know where she was headed. She simply walked along the rock path until the hedges cleared and there was a fork in the road. One led toward the raging sounds of the river, the other more silent. The cold breeze made her almost regret not wearing a coat, but she wanted to know if the chill in Velaris was different than the one at home.

Theia chose to make her way to the city rather than the river. She had the suspicion that if she looked over the edge of the bridge too long, the Spymaster would show up and haul her back to the house. Buildings came into view as snow began to fall. It wasn't the biting iciness she knew well, but a thicker, wetter snow. The flakes built on her hair and dress, clinging to her lashes. The streets weren't as busy as she expected, though it shocked her to see more races than just Illyrians.

Snug in fur coats, a male and female with small wings and blue scaly skin ran across the cobblestone and into a building that smelled like fresh bread. A darker skinned female was gathering a produce display into boxes and bringing it inside. Theia kept to the center of the road as she walked through what she suspected to be the market square of the city.

"Lady, lady!" A male shouted, waving his arms toward a building with clothing in the windows. "Surely you're cold! Come inside, see our coats!" Theia forced a smile and waved her hand to dismiss him. Before she could get yelled at again, she turned forward and strolled around a corner. This area was more bustling. Taller buildings with open doors, one with people flowing in and out as though too many were within. That caught her attention and Theia shifted to the side of the road.

Her eyes lifted to a brightly painted sign. Rita's. This had been where the General drank too much. Eager to enter, Theia tried to push through the wave of people. They spoke loudly, laughing and cheering as people chugged dark liquid. She frowned, throwing her elbow into the ribs of a male in an attempt to slip by. He shoved back, sending her stumbling back to the street.

Brushing her dress off, Theia sighed and decided to continue walking the streets. She'd have to come back with someone else who knew their way around better. Around another corner, the street seemed nearly unbearably quiet. Tall buildings with several windows lined the road. She wondered if this was residential, but noticed a female in a long coat, bare legs beneath, smoking something.

"What are you doing around here, pretty?" The female asked, dark eyes narrowing on Theia. Her hair was messy, smoke rising from her painted lips.

"What do you mean?" Theia asked, crossing her arms. The female's eyes lifted to the building above her, a grin lifting.

"Do you know where you just wandered? You look innocent, pretty. Maybe it's best to turn around," her croaky voice mused. This had Theia's curiosity rising. She opened her mouth to retort, but was interrupted by a door opening. Theia squinted, seeing a male with long horns stumbling from the building, only to be pulled back by the scruff of his coat. He dug into his pocket, pulling out coins and slipping them into the long nailed hand that waited. He tilted his head back, a female's head appearing through the door as she kissed him deeply and closed her fist around the money.

She shoved the male away and waved to him before slipping back through the door. Theia felt the confusion cloud her face as the male made his way down the steps and into the street. Glazed eyes ran over Theia's body, the corner of his lip quirking up to reveal sharpened canines as he passed her. She shivered, forcing her attention back to the female. She was already watching Theia with a wide grin.

"Run off back to the markets, pretty. Unless you're looking for a job or a good fuck, you don't need to be here."

"What are you talking about? A job?" Theia scoffed, eyeing the building again. It looked like a home, possibly a multi-family.

"These are pleasure houses, pretty. Off you run, unless you've got coin to spend and a weeping cunt."

Theia's eyes widened, her cheeks and neck flaring  with heat. The female spoke so provocatively, she should've known where she was standing long before she opened her red lips. Honestly, she didn't know pleasure houses existed. She knew debauchery well, but not that there was a market for it. She diverted her gaze from the staring female and spun on her heel, embarrassed.

"Come back if you want some money, girl! We're always looking for the fresh-faced pretties to fill rooms!" The female called out. Theia glanced over her shoulder to see her drop the smoking paper and crush it under bare toes before strolling back into the house. She shuddered and turned the corner back to the busy street.

Theia passed the busy tavern and turned down the road that pointed to the river. The sun was setting and she was eager to see the river before she was escorted back to the estate by either Nyx or the irritating Spymaster.

Her boots dragged along the scattered snow and dirt, body growing heavy. Her excitement of solitude fell to the wayside as that familiar rock in her gut returned. Now that she couldn't distract herself by wandering the city, her mind filled with that distant hum. It was quick, almost jarring. Theia scoffed at herself, kicking a rock as she neared the lit bridge.

The wood creaked as she stepped onto it, peering over the edge. The river still raged, an unstoppable force. She wanted to be like that; raging and unending. Ice broke from the edges of the bank and were torn down the current, disappearing into the darkening night. Theia rested her forearms on the barrier, letting her body droop.

Perhaps they were right to watch her through the shadows. Tears pricked at her eyes as she watched rocks and ice disappear in the water. Snowflakes still licked at her skin and hair, clinging to her before melting into the warmth of her body. She didn't feel warm enough to ruin such beauty, she felt colder than the ice inside.

The orange sun fell into purple twilight, stars beginning to blink to life. Theia watched her reddening fingers shake, closing them around each other. The roaring water matched the endless screaming hum inside of her mind.

Out of the corner of her eye, Theia noticed darkness build beside the edge of the bridge. Unnatural, nearly undetectable. The Spymaster was warning her that he knew what was in her mind; warning that she'd have company soon enough.

With a sigh, she lifted her eyes to a chunk of ice being thrashed against rocks as the current dragged it down. She wondered how long her body would last before being torn apart by the unforgiving elements. Would it be less painful to climb to the bank and lay in the water? Or would jumping be quicker? Did she even care how badly it would hurt, or did she just want the world to fall dark and quiet? 

The wood creaked, and her chest deflated. Sucking in a breath and praying the wetness on her cheeks was due to the flakes, Theia turned. Half dusted in shadow, half lit by the stars, Nyx watched her.