Chapter 11 - Captured

Start from the beginning

What is wrong with him? How could he do something like that? Now? He promised he wouldn't He wasn't supposed to... do that anymore, but he did. He did, and...

He can't undo it. Yes, Grievous was a monster, and it was probably better for him to die, but Anakin can't be the judge of that. It's not his place to give or take life from others. Even if the Force willed it, he...

It was an accident. He killed someone again. He...

Desperately, wildly, he finds himself questioning if the past months of being Light he lived were real. Or was he still Vader all along?

Ahsoka.

He needs to get back to find Ahsoka. Anakin uses that knowledge to force himself upright again. He can think about this later. He needs to get to his padawan. (How does he know he won't hurt her, too, by trying to protect her?)

***

Something's coming, Ahsoka can tell, as she scans her surroundings. She can't shake the feeling that there's something watching her, but she doesn't know what.

The war is over, and they're just trying to help clean up on the planet – and fight off any pirates and other criminals taking advantage of the situation in the meantime. There shouldn't be anything unusually dangerous here, so why...

The Force flares in warning, and she spins around right as a familiar figure steps out of the shadows. A Force-shove slams into her, throwing her against the wall of a building. Ahsoka scrambles to her feet instantly, drawing her lightsaber as Ventress ignites her own blades, charging for her.

What is Ventress even doing here?! She's obviously working with Sidious still, but that doesn't answer why she's here.

She fought Ventress once in the past, and it did not go well – Anakin had to come in to save her. But she's learned much since then, and she will not let that Sith assassin get the better of her this time.

Ahsoka blocks her blow, backing away as Ventress attacks her again. She's fighting fast and deadly, like she has no desire to play around now. That's fine. Neither does Ahsoka.

Their blades clash in a furious blur of red and green, the assassin forcing her back a few steps again. She blocks one blade, narrowly missing the other one taking her head off. Ventress shoves her back the same moment, and she loses her footing, landing on the ground with a yelp.

Ahsoka hastily rolls away to get back to her feet, only to find the red blades hovering right above her neck, nearly burning her lekku. She presses against the ground instinctively, heartrate picking up. This is bad. Anakin would be so disappointed in her if he saw her here.

"You can't escape," Ahsoka warns – even if she knows that's obviously untrue or Ventress couldn't have gotten on the planet in the first place. She's just stalling for time, for a moment to act. "My master already knows you're here."

She can feel Anakin's brilliant presence not far from here, even if he seems... momentarily distracted. But he always seems to sense everything now, in a way he never used to. She's... starting to get used to all the things he seems to pick up on that she has no idea of.

"Does he?" Ventress asks lightly, "He is a bit preoccupied right now."

What does she mean? What did they send after Anakin?!

She's certain he can handle it, because she doesn't think they even have a clue how powerful he is now, but he still may be occupied with it for too long.

Ventress moves closer, clamping her wrists in Force-restraints before pulling her to her feet, shoving her in the direction of a waiting, concealed ship not far away.