Aftermath (Darth Vader)

Start from the beginning

Luke and I swapped our opinions regarding what to do with ourselves and the Sith, but we ultimately agreed that Endor was the safest bet. I just hoped the Ewoks wouldn't flip out and try to kill Darth Vader— he wouldn't be able to fend them off by himself. There's not much Luke and I could do with that either, as they were our allies.
We would just have to hope that the force was on our side this time.

We shot into hyperspace. Luke had put in the coordinates for Endor, so that's exactly where we were headed. At this point, I had abandoned the cockpit and had crept into the back to be with the Sith that saved our lives.
Looking upon Vader, I felt compelled to thank him. However, he appeared to be asleep, so I didn't wish to wake him. So, I just sat down beside him.

After a few moments of just gazing upon his battered suit, his head moved,
"You don't have to just sit there and stare," he offered while adjusting his sitting position, "I'll speak with you if you wish."

I blushed from embarrassment, "I'm sorry. I thought you were asleep which is why I didn't say anything."

"I don't wish to sleep as of now," Vader replied while turning his vision to face Luke. His son hadn't realized that Vader was indeed awake, so he kept his attention on the cockpit window, "I wish to just meditate."

I stood up as if I was going to leave, but Vader cleared his throat, signifying he didn't wish for me to leave,
"We have a lot to talk about before I meditate. Sit down and be silent. Listen."

This was an odd approach for a Sith Lord— meditation wasn't really his thing unless it meant accompanying anger. I sensed no anger from Lord Vader,
"Speak then. I will listen."

I sat back down and Vader began,

"Whenever I joined the Dark Side with the Emperor, I had managed to destroy everything I had ever cared about. I killed the Jedi Order and spread our numbers thin, I single-handedly destroyed the Republic and paved the way for a Galactic Empire, and most importantly, I killed my wife.

"I thought that I had killed my unborn child— children. I didn't know I was having twins," he stops for a moment to chuckle, which sounded like it took a lot of energy from him, "Because of you, Luke, and Leia, I can once again be the man I always dreamt I would be when I was a slave on Tatooine. I'm going to be a man that will make everyone I've ever loved proud once more. You and my children have opened my eyes to that."

I smiled and nodded. I had never heard about Vader's backstory and never dreamt I would. All I know is it was riddled in tragedy at every corner. Perhaps this would invite a trend change, and finally Vader would be able to relax and live the life he's always wanted with his children and with me.
Wait, with me?

That thought startled me. I had never figured I would want to remain in Vader's life. Perhaps Leia and Luke because they were my best friends, but Vader's? After bending over backwards to save his life, and now with his speech, I felt compelled to stay close,

"Well, we wouldn't want it any other way," I finally answered after a few moments of silence, "I don't know how much you overheard while Luke and I were trying to get off the Death Star, but we are headed back to Endor. The Rebels won't take kindly to you still being alive, so we are planning on hiding out there with you until the end of the war blows over. After all we've done, we don't want you to get executed by the people we are fighting for."

Vader exhaled and nodded; obviously pleased by that answer, "Much appreciated, (Y/N). I know I can trust you to keep my children and I safe until I can do it myself. You have my complete confidence and trust."

I couldn't believe the words leaving his mouth. The fact that Vader trusted me enough to take care of both of his kids as well as him was very encouraging to me. Perhaps Vader has really changed and come back to the light after living so long in the dark,
"Don't worry, I'll take good care of all three of you. But, I'm confident Luke can help too. Master Yoda trained the both of us very well, and I'm confident in both of our abilities. You and Leia will be fine."

I could sense Vader's stress levels going down as those words left my mouth. Now, he could truly relax knowing I had made that special promise to him,
"Endor inbound!" Luke shouted while looking back at his father and I, "We will be there in a few minutes."

I motioned for Luke to speak quieter considering his father was actually beginning to relax now. He understood and shut up, allowing his father to drift off into an unsteady sleep.
Hopefully someone on Endor knows medicine enough to keep Vader breathing. Although he's determined and strong, the Emperor really messed up his life support suit.

Luke landed the ship flawlessly, and we were met by the sight of Han Solo, Leia Organa, the Ewoks, and the droids. I smiled and waved at them as the door to the Imperial shuttle began to open, but their expressions changed drastically as they noticed who was with Luke and I.

"What the hell are you two doing?" Han Solo growled while pulling his blaster off his belt to point at the Sith Lord, "If y'all have forgotten, let me fill you in. This monster froze me in carbonite and murdered thousands of innocent lives— if not millions! Why would you bring him to Endor where he could take us out next?"

At the sight of Han's blaster, I pulled out my (F/C) lightsaber and pointed it at his chest, "Don't try anything, Solo. He is under my protection. He's the only reason Luke and I are still alive, so I will not let him fall like this when he's trying to make up for the horrible crimes he's committed."

Vader nodded in agreement while standing beside me, "My son and (Y/N) made me realize everything I had forgotten about being a Jedi. Because of them, I can cherish relationships again, atone for my sins, and be apart of my children's lives if they so allow me to be apart of them."

With my free hand that wasn't holding the lightsaber, I gripped back at Vader's hand and pulled him behind me protectively, "I will do what I must for him. It would be wise for everyone to quietly put down their blasters and show no anger or hatred towards Vader. I will not hesitate to fulfill the promise I made with him."

Han scoffed and put his blaster away. This would permanently damage the bond I had with Solo, but I don't care,
"I don't know why you're trying so hard to appeal to that monster. If you ask me, regardless of what he did for you and Luke, you should've let him burn up in the Death Star."

"Don't say that!" Leia said, her line of sight hardening over Han's attitude, "He's still Luke and I's father. Treat him with respect."

I nodded appreciatively towards Leia. Because of her words, Han stormed off to be by himself. I turned around to face Vader and sighed,
"I'm sorry about Han. It's understandable when you think about why he's so angry with you."

Vader looked down towards your intertwined hands, which caused me to blush. I hadn't realized we were still holding each other after I was done defending him,
"I understand," he responded; not removing his hand, "I don't care what Solo thinks about me— your opinion alone is enough to satisfy me."

Grinning bashfully, I slowly got up on my toes and softly laid my head against Vader's cold, black helmet. The Sith Lord exhaled and accepted the touch; finally being content. He finally belonged somewhere.
Of course, it would take many years for him to gain the trust of everyone he's harmed, but I was a good start for him.

May 22nd, 2023