Epilogue

(September 2023)

In just one week, the new season would be starting, and Nat was more confident than she had ever been before.

The Pioneers were out practicing their drills getting ready for the season opener. Nat watched as some of the guys ran, others stretched, and others sat taking a break. One of the players she noticed taking a break was Deon Hudson, who was sitting on a bench next to a pretty girl.

This must be the lucky lady that got to walk on the beach with THE Deon Hudson. He's only been posting her on his Instagram every day for the past month.

Deon noticed Nat looking at them and gave a brief smile before returning to his conversation with his girlfriend.

Nat hadn't made friends with many of the players, but the ones she did talk to held a special place in her heart. A few weeks back, the Pioneers went to Las Vegas and practiced with the Pirates for one of their preseason games. That was the last time she had spoken to Jeff Giordano, but despite the fact they hadn't talked for months, Nat found he was still the same well-intentioned man she had known. And he was still just as good looking.

Losing their quarterback was a heavy blow, but Callaghan and the rest of the team had high hopes for the new rookie they drafted from Iowa. Nat had gotten to work with him and even she saw the potential he had. While not the tallest, he had a great arm and an even greater mind. Nat scanned the field searching for him, and she caught him throwing a few passes to some of the other players.

Just then, Nat felt a vibration from her pocket. She picked up her phone and saw it was Stef:

Stef: You won't believe what that asshole did today. We need to talk after you get off.

Nat shook her head and sighed. Before she got the chance to respond, she heard someone approach her.

"We don't pay you to stand around on your phone, Nasty Nat."

Rafael was wearing a black jacket with a small Pioneers logo on the chest. He put down a box filled with equipment. He crossed his arms, but Nat could tell by the expression on his face that he was just joking. Or at least she hoped.

"You know I still haven't gotten used to this whole you being my boss thing." Nat replied, putting her phone away. "I don't think I like it very much."

Raf laughed. "Well I'm doing my best. Do you mind helping out? We still have another box to bring over here."

"Actually I think I've got it!"

Both Raf and Nat turned and saw Ellie carrying a box all on her own. The two immediately ran up to her and took the box from her hands and put it on the ground.

"Ellie, are you insane?! What are you doing?!" Nat exclaimed.

"Whew. I'm sorry y'all. I just wanted to prove I could still do it. This baby has got me up to here." Ellie took a seat on a nearby bench.

Nat watched her sit down and was shocked by how big Ellie had gotten. Her due date was coming up soon and Nat knew she could go into labor at any minute.

"Ellie, you can take it easy. I'm sure Nat wouldn't mind picking up the slack for you, she's going to be handling most of your work when you're gone anyway." Raf said.

"Excuse me, isn't it the supervisor's job to fill the gaps in his team." Nat said, crossing her arms just like Raf.

"She's got a point." Ellie agreed.

Raf rolled his eyes but Nat could see the corners of his mouth curling up to a smile. Ever since the two started working together, their dynamic had changed, but at its core they were still the same friends they were in high school. Except now they were finally on the same team.

3rd & LongOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara