Chapter 4: False Start

After reading the message, Nat responded to her best friend by telling her to meet at the entrance of Levi's Stadium. Stef had already called Nat twice since the game ended, but Nat couldn't respond. She had a mission. She wanted to find Nick and give him the congrats he deserved after having such a huge play earlier in the match. Knowing that no one else was there in Nick's corner made Nat all the more determined to give him her undivided attention.

Nat was in the locker room waiting for Nick to show up but no sign of the smaller bear yet. Nat didn't think she would have to wait long, she had heard that Nick wasn't a huge fan of talking to the media so she figured he would make it brief. As she waited she scanned the room and saw all sorts of players talking to the cameras, getting dressed, or dancing around. The energy in the room was very upbeat since the Pioneers had finally gotten a win after a 2 week drought.

She was so focused on the scene in front of her, she hadn't noticed the wide receiver coming up.

"You came to see me mama?" Deon asked smugly

Nat turned and shot a glare at him. She was still mad that he was going around spreading fake rumors and while she didn't want to cause a scene, she still felt like giving him a piece of her mind.

"As a matter of fact, I did come to see you. Care to explain why you're going around telling everyone I have a thing for Italians?"

"Because you do. I thought I was doing you a favor letting Jeffy G know you were interested."

Nat remembered what Jeff had told her when they spoke earlier that week and got even more heated.

"That's not your place to talk about it! I'm sure you think this is all funny but you made my job even harder. Jeff still acts weird around me and he even asked to be transferred to a different trainer. I practically had to beg him to believe me that I didn't have a crush on him. I know a woman's feelings are probably the last thing you care about, but I really wish you would've thought before you spoke."

This last comment seemed to have struck something in Deon. His big smile had shrunk to a slight frown and he looked at Nat with a twinge of remorse.

"Dang, I'm sorry Nat. I didn't think he would do all that. I didn't even think he would care. I didn't mean to mess things up for you."

Nat appreciated the remorse but she knew better than to give Deon any indication of forgiveness. He was truly the last person she wanted to be talking to at that moment.

"Let me make it up to you. One of my friends is throwing a party to celebrate the win. Why don't you stop by?"

What? A football party?

NFA parties were THE parties to be at. Nat had heard all of the stories. These were the kind of parties where you could run into celebrities, from musicians to actors and everything in between. These were the parties where they served the nicest alcohols, the best food, and really just the best experiences you could ask for. Nat had never gone to an NFA party, she wasn't particularly close to the Lightning players besides one, so this invitation was certainly something Nat couldn't immediately turn down.

And Deon knew that as well. At least that's what his growing smile said.

"What's your number? I can text you the details." Deon said, holding out his phone towards Nat.

Nat reluctantly took the phone and began entering her number. "Who all is gonna be there?" She coolly asked Deon.

"Jeffy G is gonna be there if that's what you're asking"

It most certainly was not.

"That's nice, I'm sure my friend will be thrilled." Nat responded. "Anybody else?