Chapter Six

Disclaimer: I own nothing!

With Stoick banning Hiccup from going into the forest she had to get a bit creative.  Her father and Gobber were watching her more closely and with Dagur being here it made it especially hard to sneak off because unlike the others he knew how to track her down.  Dagur is a great tracker and he knew how she traveled, she had also taken him near this part of the woods before as well.  She knew how to cover her tracks but she wasn't perfect at it.  With that being said Hiccup had to get a bit creative with it and so she snuck off either early morning or late at night.  She had issues with sleeping so it was no big deal to her.

No one may have noticed her sneaking off but most everyone saw how big her eye bags were and how exhausted she normally looked.  Gobber hadn't been able to use her in the forge as often either due to her impending wedding and the fact that Stoick wanted her as well-rested as possible.

However, her nightly meetings with her dragon would soon become revealed to the tribes.  Much sooner than she and her dragon were expecting.

.....

For Hiccup it was a normal night, she had tried falling asleep but when that failed she just laid there awake, waiting for her father's snores to engulf the house.  After an hour or two they did and she quickly got dressed and snuck out her window like usual.  She easily snuck past the villagers who were on the nightly watch.  She also was easily able to navigate the forest due to the full moon.  It also helped that she had been coming to this spot for nearly two months so she knew it like the back of her hand.

When she got to Toothless the first thing that she did was saddle him up and the two went on their normal flight.  Their flight had been peaceful to start but the longer they were up in the air and the lighter the sky was getting that was when Toothless had picked up on something.  That something had made him do a 180 in his personality and soon enough Hiccup found herself in the middle of a flock of dragons who looked to be carrying in their kills.  There were plenty of sheep and even a few yaks.  Some of the animals she swore she recognized from Berk.  This meant that the dragons had just raided her island and since she didn't show up at the forge they were going to be looking for her.  Her wedding was to take place in four days and the final kill was scheduled for the day after tomorrow. 

They had finally made it down to the last two recruits, Anders and Asmund.  Astrid had been the last one to be eliminated.  Hiccup also knew that with tensions being high, they'd especially all be worried about her.  They might even think that she was carried off in the raid which right now was pretty close to what was currently happening.  Hiccup had tried to get Toothless away from the other dragons but with her having to be hunkered as close to Toothless' saddle as possible so the other dragons don't notice her she wouldn't be carried off by one of them.

Hiccup gives up with trying to pull Toothless away and soon just follows his lead.  The other dragons are soon weaving around sea stacks and Hiccup can't even keep the best track of where they currently are.  She also hasn't been off of the island much other than to visit Dagur or for the yearly chiefs' meeting.  She just knows that they're not too far away from Berk. 

What feels like hours is only an hour's worth of flying and the two come across a mountain of sorts.  The dragons all start to fly into the opening and when they reach a chasm they start to drop their food down the hole.  Hiccup is a bit mystified but also annoyed with the fact that they're just dumping their food down the chasm. 

Toothless flies over to a ledge and stays in the shadows.  Hiccup watches on with mild fascination and horror.  As the dragons clear there is one straggling Gronkle and he only drops one fish.  As soon as he does that Hiccup hears a roar and all of the dragons start to get antsy.  The Gronkle tried to fly away but before he can get too far a giant head pops out of the chasm and swallows the Gronkle.  The hunger of the giant beast is still not satiated and Hiccup swears that the huge dragon looks straight at her and Toothless.  That was what caused the panic amongst the dragons and Toothless and her barely managed to escape being eaten by the beast.  If a Zippleback hadn't been right behind them just a tad slower, her and Toothless wouldn't have been so lucky.