Chapter One

Disclaimer: I own nothing

Warnings apply throughout: Bullying, PTSD, Child Neglect

Her name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third. She is the only child of Stoick the Vast and Valka the Fierce. She's also betrothed to the only male heir of the Berserker tribe, Dagur the Deranged. Dagur didn't always have that title but he earned it after countless battles and especially after he was done with his dragon training.

Dragon training is a defining moment in a young Viking's life and is a coming-of-age ceremony and as such the winner gets to kill his or her first-ever dragon in front of the rest of the tribe or tribes. Depending on the luck the gods have bestowed upon the tribe with the amount children born and whether or not a disease has swept through usually determined the number of children involved, if a group was smaller they'd join with an allied tribe rather than pushing back their coming of age ceremony with a younger generation. The ages meant to compete for dragon training are 14-17, no one younger may compete.

Some of the girls in many different tribes didn't even get to compete in dragon training because they were married off as soon as they were classified as a woman and they got to prove their worth on the birthing bed instead of on the battlefield. Hiccup is going to be one such girl. She's going to be married to Dagur the day she turns fourteen so all of the wedding preparations were happening as soon as humanly possible. The final test for dragon training would be taking place right before the wedding so that the tribes would go from one high to the next.

Dragon training was also going to be run a bit differently this year as well on Berk because the Berserkers would be joining them. Even though there are enough teens between the two different isles to compete separately they thought that it would be better to combine their training due to the wedding taking place a few days after. As a result of the combined dragon training many Berserkers and even a few other tribes were already making their way to the isle of Berk to see how the teens would do.

Dragon training took place around the same time for every isle but it also depended on the climate just the same. Berk always had the harshest weather but there was normally a lull for a month or two before the weather became almost unbearable so it was shocking that they were attacked the most. Berk gets attacked by dragons from the dragon's nest about 2-3 times a week on average sometimes more but rarely less. Devastating winter was the one month a year they didn't get any attacks which confused many of the Vikings but they'd take what they could get. Right before their harshest winter weather though, they'd celebrate Snoggletog and have a grand time.

Snoggletog was the one time of year Vikings would be fairly pleasant to one another. It was also the one time a year her father would at least acknowledge her by either gifting her with a new outfit, weapon, or cloak to keep warm. Gobber the Belch, her father's right-hand man and her mentor would either get her a new sketchbook or a weapon if Stoick hadn't already. For Snoggletog she normally traded with Johann for her father and Gobber or she'd save up for most of the year and craft an expensive weapon for either of them.

She also usually crafted something special for Dagur as well. She'd made Dagur many things over the years as well. She'd crafted him a dagger set the first year of her learning how to forge and had created many different things as the years went on unless he wore through something she had given him a previous year. She only got better in the forge as the years went on.

She was also lucky but unlucky in a sense that she got to learn how to forge when she was seven. Many Vikings couldn't start a trade until they were nine at the youngest. Nine was also usually the age they were allowed to start fighting with weapons as well. Before then it was up to a parent's discretion when their child got to learn how to fight. Many parents even bred their children just to be warriors. The Jorgenson and Hofferson clans are two who are known for their bravery on the battlefield and many of them die with honor.