chapter six.

"welcome to the DX!"

         As the next couple of days came and went, Vernita was stuck doing the same old thing — sweep, mop, vacuum, clean dishes, and serve customers

         As the next couple of days came and went, Vernita was stuck doing the same old thing — sweep, mop, vacuum, clean dishes, and serve customers. Even though she didn't show it, her patience was running a little thin; all she wanted to do is just to serve drinks.

    So that's where she was now, mopping up the floors of Buck's bar, as he served up drinks to thirsty customers. There were more customers filing in than usual today, since it was a Friday, and it was about 95° outside. Unfortunately, Buck didn't have the greatest ventilation in the bar. So, even though Vernita had changed into a pair of shorts and a black V-neck, she still felt like she was dying.

    About a couple of hours into her doing whatever chores Buck had told her to do, Buck called her over to the bar. Vernita slinked her way between a couple of customers before making her way over to the bar.

    "You doin' okay over there?" Buck asked her, his thick brown brows raising upwards. "You look like you're 'bout ready to faint or somethin.'"

    Vernita exhaled a deep breath, nodding. "I'm all good. Just a little overheated but I'm fine."

    Buck nodded, reaching into his pocket. "I get it, kiddo. Say, why don't you take this," he slaps a couple of one dollar bills onto the bar ledge, "And go on down to the DX down the road and buy us a coupla' ice cold Cokes?"

     Vernita was the one to raise her brows now, slightly puzzled. "Me? Take your money?" she winced with hesitation as she eyed the two one-dollar bills. "Are you sure?"

    Buck rolled his eyes, snorting humorously. "Yeah, I'm sure. You're already livin' underneath my roof 'nd workin' your butt off for me." He then nudged the bills towards her. "Hurry now, before I change my mind."

    Vernita reluctantly snatched the bills off the ledge. "Fine, fine." she rolled her eyes, before letting a soft smile crack through. "Thanks, Buck."

    Buck began walking away, to help a customer. "Stop thankin' me." he called over his shoulder before beginning to tend to someone else.

°0 — — 0°

           Thankfully, Vernita's car still had gas left in it. She was extremely surprised it even started up, nonetheless have half a tank left. Maybe today was her lucky day. So, Vernita started her car up despite a few weird noises that emitted from under the hood, and then started off down the street to the DX, where she had first came from.

Hopefully the same guy who led her to Buck's was working, so she could thank him.

    It took her less than 5 minutes to make it down to the DX, and lucky enough, there didn't seem to be anyone else parked in the parking lot out front, but the small garage door was open on the side of the DX, unlike the last time she had come here.