° chapter one.

"WHERE THE DAYS ARE LONGER,
THE NIGHTS ARE STRONGER
THAN MOONSHINE."

— Ventura Highway, America.

        Vernita Fallows wasn't one to be confused often

        Vernita Fallows wasn't one to be confused often. Usually, she calculated her every move with confidence, down to walking; one foot in front of the other. She learned at a very young age that if you do walk correctly, it could get you to the very things you're searching for.

But right in this very moment in Vernita's life, she was completely, and utterly clueless. Hell, she was in a different part of the country — she had never been down to the South, but it had fulfilled most of her expectations.

One of them, was the summer heat. The same heat that made sweat bead up on her hairline, as she drove down a desolate-looking road. She was about to lose hope; the only thing she had seen in about a mile, was the 'Welcome to Tulsa!' sign, and a few liquor stores and mini-marts here and there. Other than that, there was practically nothing.

Vernita was on the verge of losing hope and snatching the map out of her glovebox, until something in the distance caught her eye. It was a gas station, with a working pump and everything. There was a large sign in front of it labeled 'DX'. She let out a large breath of relief as she slightly pressed down further on the gas pedal, eyeing her gas meter. Luckily for her, she needed to fill up on gas anyway.

As soon as the young teen recognized the sound of gravel being scraped up beneath her tires as she pulled into a park at an empty gas pump at the DX, she let out a sigh. She put her car into park, and then got out to fill up her tank.

But unfortunately, the universe did not want to cooperate with her anti-social ways today, as she stared right back at the small piece of paper that was taped to the pump.

'Card reader is broken. Please pay inside,'
It read.

   So, after she filled up her car with a decently small amount of gas (the only amount she could afford at the moment), Vernita let out a groan before slamming her car door shut before locking her car, trekking unenthusiastically inside of the DX.

   She normally was decent to strangers in public, but this Tulsa heat was doing something to her hormones or something like that. But that same aggravation slowly began to melt away the second that Vernita stepped in through the doors, the air conditioning engulfing her entire body.

  The tension in her shoulders almost instantly released due to the heat-relieving air, as she stepped up to the cash register, making instant eye contact with the cashier, who was quite a good looking guy.

He had dark honey blonde hair with piercing blue eyes, and they seemed to watch Vernita curiously as she slapped down a ten dollar bill onto the cashier's counter impatiently, one thought on her mind: