° chapter two.

"SAY, THERE GOES THE
LOVE MAN."

— Love Man, Otis Redding.

         After lugging her bags and singular suitcase up the rickety staircase at Buck's, Vernita tried her best to catch her breath as she swung open the door to the room Buck had told her to stay in

After lugging her bags and singular suitcase up the rickety staircase at Buck's, Vernita tried her best to catch her breath as she swung open the door to the room Buck had told her to stay in. When she flipped on the light switch next to the doorway, the light flickered on and off for a few times until it finally stably turned on, its bright light illuminating her temporary 'room'.

Truth be told, the room Buck had graciously given her wasn't half bad. As she walked in slowly, one foot hesitantly in front of the other, her eyes carefully observing the room around her. The bed in the left corner of the room was nice, with metal railings at the front and end of the bedframe, the metal slightly rusting at the edges. She eyed the sheets and bed covers, knowing she should find some kind of way to wash those. There was a small window right above her bed, red tattered sheer curtains, with a few holes in it; which looked like they were from moths.

Thankfully, there was a small wardrobe closet in the other corner of the room, so Vernita immediately wasted no time and began to unpack everything in her bags. She got it done pretty fast.

    After she was mostly finished, leaving a few prized possessions buried deep into her bags, that she would figure out where to hide later, she stood in the middle of the room, her hands on her hips as a soft, satisfied smirk spread upon her lips as she looked around the room, an unfamiliar feeling flooding into her body, overwhelming her.

     Freedom.

     Finally, she was free—free from all of the endless switching and swapping in between unpredictable homes that had even more unpredictable people in them. Freedom from all of the people in her town who knew her for only being the loser foster kid who had no idea who her real parents were.

     Relishing deeply in it, Vernita Fallows took a deep breath in, ignoring the stench of old gym socks and dust- mites, smiling even wider to herself.

     "I guess this is my new home sweet home for now," Vernita whispered to herself.

     "Who the hell are you?"

     The sudden, unexpected voice that came from her doorway knocked Vernita out of her thoughts, and she stumbled back slightly with fright as she turned quickly on her Converse-clad heels, to only see a young man leaning against her open doorway, eyeing her with a blank, unreadable expression on his rough-looking face.

    Vernita cursed herself mentally: she had totally forgotten to close the door behind her.

    "Um. . ." the young girl stuttered out, nerves churning and burning inside of her stomach. Who was this guy and why was he eyeing her like a hawk? "Buck, the guy downstairs is letting me stay here for a bit."