° chapter five.

"wakey, wakey, sunshine!"

That night, despite the events earlier on, Vernita had a surprisingly good night's sleep, for the first time in quite a while

That night, despite the events earlier on, Vernita had a surprisingly good night's sleep, for the first time in quite a while. But she was awoken in the late hour of the morning by a sharp knocking on her door. The first time that it sounded out and rang through her ears, she sleepily groaned and pulled the pillow over her head, as if it would shield her from the person trying to wake her up. But then a second round of knocking came, more loudly.

"Give me five more minutes!" Vernita groaned out to whoever was outside of her door.

"Wakey, wakey sunshine!" the person on the other side of the door, who Vernita almost automatically recognized to be none other than Buck, called back out through her door, knocking again. "The bar opens in ten minutes, and it's your first day on the job!"

Vernita let out yet another sleepy groan, exasperated. It felt like she needed to sleep another ten whole hours after her driving for nearly a week straight, and especially after all of the events of the previous night. But when Buck knocked yet again due to the lack of response from the young girl, she finally let out a final groan before yanking the blankets off of her body.

"Fine!" she called out, irritated slightly. "I'm up, I'm up!"

There was a moment's pause before Buck responded, the knocks ceasing finally. "Good," he responded, his voice slightly muffled by the thick wooden door between them. Vernita could almost hear the cheeky smile in his voice. "Be down in ten, 'kay?"

"Okay, sounds good!" Vernita rubbed her eyes tiredly, wanting to collapse right back into the bed, which was very comfortable, to her surprise. Another moment of silence passed, before Vernita heard Buck's footsteps walk away, back down the rickety stairs.

It took a few more moments as Vernita sat upright on the bed, for her to fully gain consciousness from her amazing night's sleep. Her eyes scanned over the room around her, slightly amazed, and hugely grateful that she was able to find a place to stay so soon. She had planned on staying in her shitty car, or even trying to find a cheap enough Motel to stay in for a few days, until she'd be able to find a job of some sorts. But in just one day, she found both; all thanks to that weirdly friendly worker at that DX gas station.

Vernita would have to go back and tell him thanks sooner than later. Though, she wondered if he would even remember her; surely he got multiple people in day by day, asking for directions or help just like she'd done.

Her eyes drifted over to her suitcase, which she had slid back out from under her bed a couple hours after her run-in with those stupid Socs. She shivered at the reminder of the events that had happened the previous night, allowing herself to wonder for just a second; she wondered what would have happened to her if she had been too slow of a runner, or if she had started running too late: if they had caught up to her.