An Up For Every Down

Magolor started rounding people up by going into his own room, where Taranza was taking a nap to try and destress. Before he went in, he was worrying about whether or not he should actually wake him up, but he didn't have to think about it any more once he saw him sitting up in the bed. "Did you sleep okay?" He went closer to Taranza's side, closing the door.

Taranza picked himself up off the bed and hugged him. "I'm sorry..."

"For what?" Magolor hugged him back, hoping his apology was for something that wasn't serious. Either way, it was his responsibility to make him feel better. That was how it worked, right?

"I'm such an idiot."

"No, you're not." Magolor backed off slightly. "What are you talking about?"

Taranza blinked, then started blinking faster. "Oh!" He let go. "I need to actually tell you before I apologize for forgetting! I remembered! The thing that happened in the building that I forgot about!"

Magolor cocked his head to one side. "Oh?"

"I think we might have made a really big mistake."

Magolor sat down on the bed. "Please, go on."

Taranza sat next to him. "I talked to them. The one who put us all in there. And they asked me for something."

"Oh, whoa, really? What'd they ask for?"

"They asked me where Max Profitt Haltmann is. And when I told them he was dead, they denied it. Theyinsistedhe'salivebuttheydon-"

"Ranz." Magolor put a hand firmly on Taranza's chest. "Please slow down. We won't get anywhere if you don't calm down."

Taranza took a long, deep, breath. "Sorry."

"Okay?" Magolor eased his grip. "Now, go back to-wait. Wait, they asked WHERE he is?!?"

"Yes."

Magolor held his hands against the sides of his head. "Then what the fuck does that mean? Who could possibly swear up and down that he's alive but not know where he is? That doesn't make any sense!"

Taranza jittered like he was shaking invisible maracas. "I KNOW!!!"

"The person who stuck us all there knows enough about the Haltmann AI to want to stop Susie from saying anything, but they somehow don't think he's dead???"

"Well, if it helps, the person I spoke to who isn't the AI might also not be the mastermind behind all of this."

"But that just raises the question of who it is !" Magolor exploded.

"And I don't have the foggiest idea!" The panic was mutual.

There was a reluctant tap at the door. "Hey guys, aren't we going?" It sounded like Dedede. "And whatever you're doing in there, it's not quiet."

Magolor's face went beet-red. He called to the door, "Coming!" He turned to Taranza. "We should go. Maybe we'll figure it out when we get there?"

"Okay. Should we tell the others about what I just remembered?"

"Do whatever you want to, Ranz." Magolor got up and moved to the door, then turned back and gave Taranza a sly glance. "I won't."

.-..-. .. / .... --- .--. . / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-. . -. .----. - .-.-.- .-..-. / -- . - .- / -.- -. .. --. .... - / -- ..- - - . .-. . -.. / ..-. .-. --- -- / --- ..- - ... .. -.. . .-.-.-

The door creaked as it swung open. "That thing?" Coo indicated the hatch on the floor.

"Looks like it." Ribbon tried lifting it open. It came up pretty easily.