Chapter 14- Monza!

The excitement for today's grand prix was buzzing all around the paddock and in the grandstands where all the fans sat. The fans– mainly the tifosi— really hoped for a win in their home country and hopefully Charles and Carlos could bring it home for them. It would be amazing to be able to announce Charles or Carlos as the race winner whilst you were commentating.

Obviously with being a commentator you had to get to work earlier before all the drivers so you had to say good luck to Charles before leaving the house and send over a quick text to Lewis and Carlos too.

The race didn't start for another two hours but of course you were already live on air showcasing everything that would happen before and after the race, explaining the track and what it's like and of course talking about the grid line up.

You were so excited for the race to start and finally be able to show to everyone your commentator skills. The past two days really allowed you to be inspired by Crofty and Jenson and you had faith that you would be able to talk throughout the whole race.

-

The race was about to start, all the cars lined up on the grid and everyone else in positions for the first race back after the summer break.

There was already a yellow flag flown with the first lap of the race, Max Verstappen was in trouble with possible front wing damage but nobody could care less, everyone was too busy focused on the front of the race. Charles in front with P1 and Lewis and George behind him fighting for P2

"Daniel Riccardio flew past Carlos Sainz in the Ferrari, and that is bad news indeed" Crofty said as the replay of Max losing his front wing played. It made him drop all the way back to last place and Daniel managed to get up to fifth.

The second yellow flag of the race came out when Alex went onto the grass in his Williams but the green flag was soon out when he went back onto the track.

"Carlos Sainz has spun onto the grass! This race isn't look good for him" You said

"Lucky Ferrari have Charles Leclerc flying out in front," Crofty added.

You were so happy that Charles was at the front, especially in Monza. He really had a chance in winning this race and it would be amazing if he did so considering his last race he got a DNF and to be able to come back and win a race would be such an achievement.

The Italian GP had to be one of the best races you've ever witnessed, Charles dropped to third place after being overtaken by Danny somewhere around lap 23 but by lap 28 he was back up to first.

"Carlos Sainz has retired from the race with a loose tyre after stopping twice in the pit lane, Charles Leclerc will now be fighting for points for Ferrari"

Lap 42 it was Charles, George and Lewis, Lewis lost second place after locking up on the chicane and it was looking pretty good for Charles winning the race, as long as George didn't catch up to him he would be the winner of the Italian grand prix.

Thankfully the race seemed to calm down after lap 42 and everyone knew Charles was going to win the race with Russell and Hamilton in 2nd and 3rd. Crofty could see the smile on your face as you watched Charles go through the last corner, he signalled for you to talk so you could announce he was the winner of the Italian grand prix.

"You can see the celebrations starting, he's got one more corner, the famous Parabolica to go. Mercedes threw everything at him today and Charles Leclerc has coped brilliantly. With a DNF in spa he no longer cares about as he wins Monza!" You cheered with your heart's content. "Charles Leclerc is the winner of the 2022 Italian Grand Prix!"

You could hear him celebrating from the team radio, he's never sounded happier and you've never been happier for him, yes he's won other races but being able to win in Monza driving a Ferrari is a life time achievement and you were proud to be able to witness it and have the opportunity to commentate on the race.

"What a race this has been today Crofty" You looked over to him and smiled, over the moon by what you just watched.

Not just Ferrari but it was also a great achievement for Mercedes, Lewis and George came 2nd and 3rd, your father would be very happy about that.

You wanted more than anything in the world to go down to the garages and see Charles celebrate but you couldn't, that was one downside of being a commentator, you had to watch it from the box and it was killing you that you weren't the person who got to interview Charles after the race. Nevertheless you tried not to think about it and carried on until the end.

For some reason Jenson joined you and Crofty in the box, normally it was only two people who did the after show but clearly today it was the three of you.

"Y/N, go down and celebrate with Charles. You need to be the one who interviews him" Crofty said.

You looked at him completely shocked. "Is that even aloud?"

"No" He laughed. "But you were able to announce him as winner and you sure as hell aren't going to miss out interviewing him"

"Oh my god! Crofty you're the best. Thank you so much!" You beamed at him.

He smiled back. "I'll see you next week for Practice in Japan"

"Yes, see you next week" You smiled once more before sprinting down to the track just in time for the after race interviews.

You arrived panting for breath and made it just in time, Will looked at you confused wondering why you were in the paddock and not in the commentators box. You explained to him that Crofty said you could come down and interview Charles.

You saw Charles step out of the car, you couldn't hide your excitement any longer, you were so proud of him. You ran into his arms, spinning around in the air as he lifted you up.

"You did it baby, you won in Monza!"

He was clearly too busy celebrating to hear you but it didn't stop him from kissing you in front of everyone and once again the whole world saw you kiss. It probably wasn't the most professional thing to do but you didn't care, your boyfriend just won a race in Italy, home of Ferrari, he deserved to be kissed.

"Are you not commentating?" He asked, finally realising you from his grasp.

"I did, Crofty let me come down and interview you after the race. Which is happening any second-"

Will handed you the microphone and pushed you in front of the camera, clearly the interviews were starting now. You quickly adjusted your hair and smiled at the camera, a little flustered from your kiss with Charles.

"Charles Leclerc, race winner! How does it feel to be able to come back like that after a DNF in Spa?" You didn't want him to be reminded of such a bad day but it was job to ask questions like that.

"It feels amazing, you know, never would I have thought that I'd win a Grand Prix in Monza in front of the Tifosi. It's great and I couldn't of done it without the help of my team and the support of the fans"

"And Mercedes pushed you pretty hard today, is it safe to say that you'll keep this competitive streak up till the end of the season?"

"I think Lewis and George did well today and if it wasn't for them pushing me I don't think I would of won"

"It really was a fantastic race. Are you excited for Japan?"

"Yes, very excited for Japan. Hopefully I can win more races and build my points up for the championship"

"Charles Leclerc everyone, winner of the Italian GP"

You waited for the camera to go off air and kissed him once more before he went up to the podium for his trophy and champagne.