Volume 3.3: Last Call

Start from the beginning

"Hirata, but how could you have known he was about to die? It's not your fault. Don't talk yourself down for that. I couldn't have handled it any better."

"Don't talk such nonsense. I'm sure you would have taken it so well, but can I ask you something personal? Have you made any friends?"

Friends? No, not a single one.

"Not yet, I'm afraid."

"Not yet? We're friends, I'd say. Since you don't have any friends, do you have any interest in a girl?"

Do I have any interest in women? Of course you are. I have a lot of interest, actually.

"Yes, will you be able to keep it a secret?"

"Huh? Are you interested in a girl? I won't tell anyone, don't worry."

"I have a girlfriend."

"Ahhh. Wait a minute...Excuse me? What girl is that lucky?"

"Uhhh Suzune I would say."

"Am I dreaming right now? You and Horikita-san was already a bit of a rumour, but it was true? To be honest that surprised me a lot...Since when?"

Oh...I have no idea when.

"Uhmm...This is embarrassing for me to say, but I completely forgot the day and week. You are also dating Karuizawa am I right?"

"Partially. Since you entrusted me with something very heavy, I guess I'm in for it."

"Partially? Can you enlighten me as to what you mean by that?"

"I guess this won't be a surprise to most as it was quite obvious, yes, me and Karuizawa are not actually in a romantic relationship. I can't tell you the reason for that as it's something very private."

He slowly opens up to me, it is going very well according to plan to build trust and control and slowly stabilise the class.

"Interesting, may I-"

"Good morning you two~"

Movement arose, Kushida came out of her tent and greeted us, she went to the other water source and probably got ready for the day.

It's still very early, as most of them haven't quite adjusted to the environment yet, they might sleep longer.

At around 6-7am almost everyone should be awake, I wouldn't have to worry about Koenji as it's the same to talk to him or to a wall.

"I think it's about time for us to do something for the course of the day. Shall we put out the fish net?"

Hirata suggested a logical way of thinking first, the risk of someone spying on us talking at this hour being too high.

Although these are personal conversations, the part of Hirata's past and my relationship with Suzune must not be known to a third party.

It could set off a small chain reaction that could be hugely beneficial.

"Okay, go to the other side of the stream and hold the net good and tight, Hirata be a little careful crossing the stream though because the stones at the bottom are very slippery."

"Pass!"

One by one, people stood up. A few listened to our everyday conversations, Karuizawa and Suzune sat next to each other near the bank and talked. The topic was probably me, Hirata and the class.

"Twenty-one fish. That probably won't be enough for everyone here. I would suggest that everyone make a small group and search for fruit and other food. Also, be careful, don't try them yet, bring them here first because they might be poisonous. Ayanokōji, I would suggest that you, Yamauchi and Sakura Airi be in a group. Since you seem to be the most decent of you, you also somewhat lead your group."