xiii

Lack of sleep and exhaustion was heavy on my face, but I glanced over at Sarawat to find him looking as refreshed as ever.

Though he hadn't lifted his head from his papers once in the past two hours. The man's attention span was impressive. "M'lord." Man stepped into the office, his hands behind his back as a sign of respect. The Duke looked up, sparing me a glance as if to check on me.

"General Peterson's early transfer here has been processed, he will begin tomorrow." Sarawat's face drooped a little upon hearing the words as if it displeased him.

"General Drake Patterson?" I asked, immediately snatching both their attentions. Sarawat's tongue flicked against the inside of his cheek as he glared at me. He seemed quite irritated by my interest in Drake.

"H-He's my childhood friend's brother." I quickly rushed to my own aid, reading the Duke's face for improvements.

Sarawat gave me an 'Mmm' before looking back down at his paperwork. "Gale's inn will host the General." He ordered, to which Man exited the room right after.

"You may sit if you like, I must've been hard on you last night and the night before." He spoke gently in my direction. My face became red hot, as the events he referred to, flashed through my mind.

"I'm all right, it's my job after all." I cleared my throat, shaking the unnecessary thoughts from my head.

My own words stuck a nerve to me. The reality, that this was merely a job since Sarawat needed me for his health to prosper, hurt me. I hadn't known this man for too long, but I was already afraid of the day he would no longer need me.

The leg of his chair screeched against the ground as he pushed the chair back to get up. "I have an appointment with the King, you may come if you wish." My eyes went wide as I smiled enthusiastically.

"May I?" I had never seen the King or seen his castle before but I've only ever dreamed of seeing it. His stern expression softened upon seeing my excitement, and he beckoned me over with his hand.

I went to him, obediently, and he closed the gap between our bodies by my waist. "I would love nothing more." my heart jumped at his usage of "love" though it wasn't towards me. I was crazy to think of love when all we've done was have sex.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head in the crook of it, inhaling the musky scent of Sandalwood and cinnamon. It lit a golden light in my chest.

"What's the king like?" I spoke in a soft voice, still nuzzling against him.

"Infuriating." Sarawat sighed into the top of my head, stroking my hair.

_

The carriage ride to the kings castle was far more enjoyable, Sarawat and I spoke of many things. Well, I mainly did the talking but he reciprocated with his own words, though they weren't as enthusiastic as mine.

"I heard from Boss that you and the King are close," I asked, showing genuine interest and not ill intent by my prying.

"Childhood friends." He lazily blinked at me, with some pleasantness on his face.

"Phuak, Fong, Ohm and I, have that relationship." I smiled, though I had to hide the feeling of missing my friends from showing on my face or in my words.

"Are those the boys you worked with?" He asked, resting his face in my hand that was propped up on the window. I nodded in reply but my brain held onto the word "boys", it humoured me.

"Right the 'boys'..." I laughed, earning a confused look from the man sitting across from me. "Its just that you speak as though you are many years older than me."