119 (Extra 7: Forgotten Lover)

Start from the beginning

He squinted, the leaves swaying outside the window.

Someone else?

*

He once saw a Japanese puppet show. The stage was only a small square, and there were only five silk puppets.

He was forced my Madam Xue to watch that show. As it was the beginning of their marriage, he did not want to spoil the bride's mood. The women were watching with great interest, but only he was staring at the puppets, lost in thought.

In the last playlet, the male couple and the female puppets were unfullfilled lovebirds who were willing to stay together at all costs, but in this new playlet, the same male and female puppets passed by each other as passersby who did not know each other.

——That's right, they're new characters after all.

He felt a tug on his clothes and turned his head around. Madam Xue's eyes were timid as she quietly asked, "Marquis, do you not like it?", amidst the shouts of approval.

His wife, whose shoulders were too thin, always looked a little soft and pitiable.  

"——Indulging him." Imperial Concubine Zheng huffed. She then intimately pulled over Madam Xue's hand, "This is just the way he is, it's best if you are happy watching it."

As she said this, she turned her face towards him, and her well-cared-for face showed a bit of sternness: "Qing Huan, liven up a bit."

"Yes." He lowered his eyelashes and gave a perfunctory and distracted response. The light and shadows outside the stage were chaotic, and the light shone on his face, so magnificent that others would easily be understanding of his absentmindedness.

This marriage was a proper match, decided by their parents and introduced by a matchmaker. The older sister looked at Madam Xue with eager eyes, as if she were looking at a grand plaque.

Thinking about it this way, Madam Xue was also a pitiable person.

A playlet ended, and like a marionette, he properly brought his new wife out of the palace and back to his house.

He walked under the moonlight, his lapel covered with the distant moonlight, pulling out a slim and slender shadow. The servant who carried the lantern was far away and Madam Xue's face was full of contentment. But out of the blue, she suddenly tugged on his sleeve.

Now that he thought about it, at the time, Madam Xue was just trying to act coquettish after having a few glasses of wine during the dinner.

He suddenly paused in his steps, as if this tug was a sudden push on a person close to falling asleep, scattering a confusing and frivolous dream.

He recalled a pair of hands.

A scallion-like pair of hands, first tugging at his sleeve, clenching it a little, then tentatively holding his wrist, with slyness and clingyness. He turned his hand back to clasp that cold pair of hands, and the person laughed silently.

She laughed with her head down, the breeze carrying the scent of osmanthus ruffled the two soft wisps of her hair. the curves of her eyes were punctuated by long lashes and her cheeks were pink.

He was not able to wait for her to raise her eyes.

Madam Xue saw his face change and thought he didn't like being touched, so she removed her hands in embarrasment. When the servant who was leading the way saw that they were not following, he came back to call him, and he sobered up from the unstable hallucination.

——That wasn't Madam Xue.

He looked up blankly in the evening breeze, recalling over and over again the women he had seen, from the maids and even to the courtesans, none of whom were her.