44

Names:
Tao Ying: Monk who brought Esoteric Buddhism to Xingshan Temple

The black lotus knew himself well but, did evil things amicably greet each other upon meeting these days?

Miao Miao ran towards Mu Shen. At the same time, she noticed he had slid his Demon Restraining Circlet off his wrist and held it between his fingers. Unable to help herself, with her hairs raised, she yelled, "What do you want to do?! Don't be disrespectful to Buddha..."

Before her words had fallen, the Demon Restraining Circlet raced straight for the statue's head.

Ling Miaomiao, "..." 《゚Д゚》

Amitabha, the black lotus did it, so he'll take responsibility for it.

Mu Sheng's gaze was very serious. His actions were very quick and like an incoming storm. In the same moment that the Demon Restraining Circlet flew out, a stack of talisman papers spread out into a row in the air. Using the drop of blood remaining from the cut on his finger, he only had time to draw a horizontal line before the papers rapidly formed a ring encircling them. Like a fierce dog baring its fangs and a circle of sharp arrows, they attacked the statue ruthlessly.

The royal family's pitiful golden statue was surrounded by enemies from head to toe. In the blink of an eye, it was attacked endlessly and a golden light shot out, blinding their eyes.

Miaomiao instinctively used her arm to shield her eyes.

"Turns out, you aren't excited to see me.."

The corners of Mu Sheng's eyes had reddened slightly. Killing intent had flared up in his eyes before slowly dying out as he tonelessly said,
"It's fear."

Miaomiao opened her eyes, the battle had ended far sooner than expected. Before her eyes, a few lines of smoke were all that was left to be seen. The main hall had settled back into absolute stillness.
Was it that the demon/monster was too weak?

Or was it that Mu Sheng was too strong?

Or maybe...

Where's the statue? Raising her eyes, she could almost feel cold sweat coming out of her pores. The "solid gold" statue was cut through right at the waist, revealing a large opening.

It turned out that the inside of the statue was hollow. She couldn't make out what was in de but there seemed to be something in there.

Miaomiao leaned forward to take a closer look.

By the faint light of the candle, she was barely able to make out a red lacquered box. It had been wrapped in a cowhide which hadn't stood the passage of time. The hide was spotted and mottled, showing signs of rotting and peeling.

Her heart fluttered. She climbed onto the altar, bent down, and brought out the box. With a puff, the thick layer of dust scattered, dancing through the air.

The two looked at each other.

Mu Sheng glanced indifferently/uninterestedly at her hands. "Open it, this is the śarīra Zhao Qinru wants."

Miaomiao shakily opened the box with her left hand. Though it did not have a lock, the hide on the clasp had been worn through and was a bit rusted. A hair-raising creak sounded when the box was opened.

On the yellow silk, lay two small black stones. Miaomiao couldn't help looking at the black lotus asking, "This is the śarīra?"

Mu Sheng looked back at her, "Why are you looking at me, I've never seen the śarīra either——"