Chapter Ten | Nick

Start from the beginning

Don't even go there.

All of a sudden she laughs. "I'm kidding." She says. "While a distraction from everything sounds amazing, Jackson wouldn't be the one I go to. I'm actually not interested in any of the boys at Kerrington." She tells me. "So you don't have to worry about me inviting anyone over."

It's a relief. I knew she wasn't that type of girl and I was even more happy that no one at school seem to have caught her eye.

"Caitlin has told me that Isabella won't quit asking about you." I tell her once I catch a glimpse of the photo of Isabella and me on my desk.

"Aw, really? I miss her too. She's a great kid." Talia says.

"If you're interested, you could come over to dinner Friday night? Caitlin wouldn't mind and Isabella would be happy to see you too."

"Yeah, that would be great."

"Cool. Well uh, I'll let you go back to sketching." I tell her.

"Okay. I'll see you on Friday."

There's silence but neither of us hung up. "Bye Talia." I finally say.

"Bye Nick." The line goes dead and I place my phone down my desk. I run a hand over my face and exhale loudly.

We were trudging on dangerous water and by the indent in my pants I knew that I had to stay away from Talia these next few days and clear her out of my head.

I couldn't touch her. I wouldn't.

•••

When I pick her up for dinner on Friday, she reminds me once again that she's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Her hair is sleeked back into a ponytail, her skin glows and she's dressed in a caramel brown tank top underneath a matching light sweater with light colored jeans that hug her thighs.

"Hi." She smiles brightly at me when she climbs inside my car.

"Hey. You're cheerful," I observe.

"I'm excited to be around other people." She confesses. I didn't even think she might be lonely in the house by herself all day every day. With it be spring break, she hasn't seen any of her friends from school and the only people she talks to are the people who bark orders at her at work.

I was proud of myself for putting some distance between us, but now that she's here with me it was as if all my efforts to keep her out of my system were useless.

Her scent was like a drug to me; every time I got a hit, I just wanted more and more until it completely consumed me.

"Well my niece is probably going to talk your ear off," I warn her. "So get ready."

"I can't wait."

Once we drive away from the beach house, Talia begins to tell me that despite all the time spent alone, she's actually grateful to have some place quiet and the time to sketch. She mentions she's working on a design for a dress she's really excited to see come to life and that she needs the fabric to make it a reality and because I can't seem to stay away from where she's concerned, we make plans to go out to the store tomorrow morning to pick some up.

Isabella and Caitlin are waiting outside the house when we pull up just like the last time.

"Talia!" Isabella sprints away from her mom and runs towards my car just as Talia climbs out.

"Hey beautiful." Talia quickly wraps her arms around my niece just as she throws herself at her.

"I have my tea ready for us in my room." Isabella tells her.